Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [SG] War for Mars  (Read 10870 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [SG] War for Mars
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »

Oates and I began climbing back up the hill. The rest of the section arrived at the top of the hill at the same time we did.

"Thank God you guys are okay!" Beem said. He and Cricket looked past us at the destroyed emplacement.

"Hey, nice work Oates!" Beem offered. Oates looked sheepish, but before he or I could explain there was a rapid series of explosions. We spun in the direction they came from; our ship was under attack! As acting corporal I was only privy to platoon communications, but if I were a platoon commander then I would have heard some young private's voice punch in over the radio at the same time as we began to jog towards the action. The conversation transpired in the space of 50 seconds.

"Marble-1 to Orbital, what is the strength of my signals? Over."

"Orbital to Marble-1, this is the UFF Kubek, receiving you 3 by 5, over."

"Marble-1 to Orbital, requesting mission, over."

"Orbital to Marble-1, UFB Rakurai, roger, send your mission, over."

"Marble-1 to Rakurai, prepare to copy, over."

"Rakurai to Marble-1, ready to copy, over."

"Marble-1 to Rakurai. Grid Alfa Bravo 4753 2854. Two armored vehicles, danger close, request TOM. Over."

"Rakurai to Marble-1, good copy. Grid Alfa Bravo 4753 2854. Two armored vehicles, danger close. Message to observer, fire control number Alfa Foxtrot 5150. Break. 2 rounds TOM, 30 seconds. Over."

While this was going on, we rushed over the hill as a squad and saw the pair of enemy IFVs assaulting our entrenched company. They were M6s, an outdated wheeled model with a mean looking 35mm autocannon. One was toward the east and the other to the west, both were firing. I had no idea what condition the company was in back at the trench.

"Shit!" I said.

"Oates, get the fucking—" He had already got his rifle back, and by the time he had set it down again and untangled the launcher from his body, Rakurai's comm shack had reported.

"Splash, over."

"Splash, out." Our company radio operator responded.

Five seconds later the two IFVs were struck by a pair of tungsten crowbars moving at 3 kilometers per second. The impacts were a tenth of a second apart, as the Rakurai's position in low Mars orbit relative to the surface meant that one projectile had to travel an extra 100 meters. The vehicles erupted in a geyser of fire and sand; broken metal rained down afterward.

"That was a calldown from the Battle Fleet!" Artoka exclaimed, incredulous.

"Fuck yeah!" Beem cheered.

"Recce to Marble-Actual, come in! Are you guys alright?" I called, allowing myself a grin. It was gone soon.

"This is Staff Sergeant Esquire, listen up Gavin. We've got 20 deaders, more wounded. I'm holed as well." I wouldn't have been able to tell just by her voice.

"First and fourth 'toon are fucked so I'm folding their remnants into third and sending everyone to you. That's all we've got left now, just two understrength platoons, plus your squad. Galiposhae is incapacitated, all the other platoon commanders are dead. Me and a few other walking wounded are staying behind to see to the rest. Understand? You're not just acting now, I'm promoting you to corporal. There are some other corporals but they're all kids, and none of the other veterans tested nearly as high as you in leadership, and your psych scores are perfect. I need you to take the chalk and link up with the other drops. Can you handle this responsibility, Gavin?"

Code: (USFA Rifle Section) [Select]
[Cover:None]   [Frags:10   Smoke:9   HE:4]

Gavin | Assistant Leader | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125] AM-00 Missiles [2]

Toric | Squad Gunner | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | PP.3 Squad Automatic Rifle [500]

Beem | Rifleman | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125]

Artoka | Rifleman | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125]

Cricket | Grenadier | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle w/GL [120/4 Rifle Frags]

Oates | AT Gunner | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1-B Carbine [150]  Avenger AM-00 [1]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:17:23 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] War for Mars
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2015, 10:42:18 am »

Accept the responsibility of linking up with the other drops. Tell Staff Sergeant Esquire that we will come back to the drop ship check on the situation and resupply on ammunition. Ask Beem and Artoka if they if they feel too hurt to go on the mission.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]