Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to Modding (and Dwarf Fortress) A tiny XXmodXX  (Read 1007 times)

Captinfannin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Caution ruined my FUN
    • View Profile
New to Modding (and Dwarf Fortress) A tiny XXmodXX
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:33:49 pm »

So, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, and after my first Fort I decided to take a look at the modding for my next fort because it seemed easy, at least easier than learning a programming language to mod another game. The result is very mundane, a made a simple mod that allows the creation of "dwarven steel", an improved (I hope and overpowered?) version of steel, a plant which is used in making the steel, and a new weapon, the caestus, which is basically a ancient lethal boxing glove. If anyone here would like to try this out and give me a bit of feedback, I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm planning turning this into a serious mod, of course. Do it at your own risk, I've barely attempted to balance it, I wouldn't be surprised if the metal and the weapon are super OP or weak. I have been told the metal is a bit too strong. All the IDs have _CPTNF and I didn't change any of the base raws (besides enabling the content for the civs,) so it should work with anything.

Additions

Midnight Root - Uncommon-ish Underground Plant with a high value. Takes a year to grow. Not edible, but can be made into alcohol as dwarven black beer an milled into a inedible powder, Midnight Dust, used in making Dwarven Steel. Low burning points, high heat damage resist.

Dwarven Steel- Improved Version of Steel (hopefully which is overpowered?) made by sprinkling some magic Midnight Dust over molten steel bars, or something of the like. 3 Steel Bars + 1 Midnight Dust + Fuel at a smelter = 3 Dwarven Steel Bars. Can be used for everything steel can.

Caestus- Lethal Boxing Glove which uses the striking skill which for some reason is only made from metal. Stats were based off dwarves punches and the whip, so its probably OP. *If* I update this mod (which is highly unlikely,) I might make it so you can spike them for a EDGE attack.

Now for a few questions....
  • If I'm correct, adding new flowing liquids like water or magma is impossible, right? I wanted Midnight Root to make an oil that had extremely low burning points, so you could pour it in an area to make fire traps... but you can't (or I didn't know how) make new flowing liquids.
  • Is there any way to make the caestus require leather and metal, but still be a weapon? Real life caestus were mostly composed of leather, with some having metal plating, studding, and/or spikes.
  • Is there a way to make the caestus take up layer space like armor, but, again, still be a weapon? Its like a gauntlet after all.
  • Another question about the caestus/weapons, can you make a weapon impossible to two-hand?

Download
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/hy9fbton8rt6k/newmod_captinfannin

EDIT:LOTS
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:58:26 am by Captinfannin »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: New to Modding (and Dwarf Fortress) A tiny XXmodXX
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »

Now for a few questions....
  • If I'm correct, adding new flowing liquids like water or magma is impossible, right? I wanted Midnight Root to make an oil that had extremely low burning points, so you could pour it in an area to make fire traps... but you can't (or I didn't know how) make new flowing liquids.
  • Is there any way to make the caestus require leather and metal, but still be a weapon? Real life caestus where mostly composed of leather, with some having metal plating, studding, and/or spikes.
  • Is there a way to make the caestus take up layer space like armor, but, again, still be a weapon? Its like a gauntlet after all.
  • Another question about the caestus/weapons, can you make a weapon impossible to two-hand?

1. You cannot create new flowing liquids.

2. You can create a custom reaction that requires metal and leather, but items can only be made of one material, at the moment. You would want the product of the reaction to be the metal component, for the purpose of effectiveness.

3. Not at the moment. Weapons cannot have armour/clothing properties, and vice-versa.

4. Set the weapon's [TWO_HANDED:#] tag, if it has one, to zero or one. If it does not have that tag, give it this: [TWO_HANDED:1]. Anything smaller than the weapon's indicated two-handed tag size must wield it with two hands, while anything higher may use only one hand.

Captinfannin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Caution ruined my FUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:15:45 pm »

Thanks...
Its' a shame you can't make new flowing liquids... having a burning oil would be cool.You could also make an alcohol mist generator (which I'm sure the dwarves would love,) or make your dwarves bathe in the blood of their enemies.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »

your dwarven steel there is so hilariously better than steel dwarven steel>steel is like steel>bronze.

It's also very rigid in comparison (though direct comparison is impossible, as dwarven steel actually has impossible rigidity values).

So yeah, it's stronger.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:37:50 pm »

It's stronger than my Burning Steel, which I thought was pretty tough. Divine and Adamantine still cut it down, though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Captinfannin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Caution ruined my FUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:25 pm »

Hmmm.....

I thought the metal might be too powerful. It was weaker at first, but the dwarven steel equiped dwarves kept losing to steel equipped dwarves (especially for spears, for some reason) in the testing arena, so I bumped up its strength. I guess to much. Thanks for the feedback

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 08:54:19 pm »

Nah, it should be fine. The steel>bronze difference is actually what should be expected out of "tiers" of strengths.