Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uh.... Let's... Let's shut the gate.  (Read 1067 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uh.... Let's... Let's shut the gate.
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:38:18 pm »

Godlymanor's still puttering along, and now we've got a siege. Though, this must be the richest fort I've ever had, because the forces of darkness are made up of eight trolls and seven pages of goblins, and all of the goblins are riding Giant Rats. Every single one of them.

Spoiler: Siege (click to show/hide)

I know, the dwarfy thing to do would be let them come rushing in and see how well my dwarves fare (somehow I don't think a 10 dwarf squad of poor crossbowdwarves would do that well), but I'd like to have a fort last more than a four or five years for once. So, I've shut the gate and I'll see what happens.

One time I had a siege run right up and crowd my shut gate, and I didn't think of atom-smashing them. I still kick myself over it.\

Edit: In total it seems there are over 100 of them, took the screenshots about 10 seconds after the siege started.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:19:44 pm by pbnjoe »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Uh.... Let's... Let's shut the gate.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »

Some times atom smashing doesn't work, like if there is too much stuff on the bridge.

Also, if I were in your situation, I would turtle till the end of time. Call me an elf, whatever.

In the mean time, you could attempt to but your marksmen in positions where they could slowly whittle down their forces, without danger from melee goblins. Don't have any spots to put them in? Make them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:37:21 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:09 pm »

Also, if I were in your situation, I would turtle till the end of time. Call me an elf, whatever.

In the mean time, you could attempt to but your marksmen in positions where they could slowly whittle down their forces, without and danger from melee goblins.

Sometimes it seems like the game wants you to give up, though, especially when you just turtled 4 sieges, let one in and decimated the last one, then two seconds after that a fire-breathing raven hill titan starts everything on fire.
I just watched that one burn.

Sadly, I don't have anything set up to allow my marksdwarves to do that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:55:45 pm by pbnjoe »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »

That's big to you? I've gotten bigger, and occasionally multiple of sieges a year in that size scale. I've not enabled invaders in past few fortress partially because of that, and partially because I wanted to test stuffs :D

Granted that relied on prepared food and dyed cloth stuff everywhere, that's pretty much a wealth generator.

Also. Turtle, unless you want quick end, or have a superdwarf bodyslamming around.

Or you could be mean and have a whole bunch of cage trap, using birds as a lure in and out.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:55:31 pm »

Yeah, I don't think this is the biggest or most I've had, but this is the first time any have ridden mounts, let alone all of them. The worst amount I've had was in Dippedrope, the one I was just mentioning :)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:50 pm »

I had something like that my last fortress.... Except it was undead... and I had 19 dwarves... And one level of adamantine that is mineable. Every year the siege was joined by another undead group, and another, and another. It got up to 388 after 2 years of dwarves underground before I realized my copper clad dwarves to fight it out.

Cause the undead never leave. Ever.

Can't bust down doors, though.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 06:26:11 pm »

It could be worse!

Eventually, they do leave. Just wait it out, then hope they don't set up any ambushes. Meanwhile, I'd try to set up some kind of automated defense system in your fort until they skitter off. It's bad news going up an enemy that size without having any stable defenses!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:57 pm »

I've found archer towers work really well, even against ranged enemies.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »

I say archer towers too. Unless you start taking losses from goblin ranged units you might kill enough goblins for them to just give up and leave.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:15:42 pm »

Or:

1. Shut the gate
2. Build/dig behind it a pathway (space-saving design is a one-tile path that switchbacks on itself) that you fill with cage traps, one for each invader (separate ones for the mounts, don't forget!)
3. Seal that off from your fort with a bridge, and place a bait animal on a chain at the end
4. Open the original gate
5. Start work on your military-training arena while the siege blunders into aaaaaallllll those traps

Alternatively, do the same thing but with weapon traps instead. If you have the materials of course. Wooden spiked balls actually work decently well, in my experience.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:29:07 pm »

I always have a big one-tile wide hallway filled with traps and surrounded by at least +10 plus deep holes. To make it fair though, I turn them to stone traps once I have a suitable military.
Vae Victis