Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discussion on upgrading hardcode for ranged weapons and making the !FUN! resume  (Read 602 times)

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile

After modding Dorf Fortress for I while it has repeatedly occurred to me that the hardcoding for DF ranged weaponry fall short on several levels. Therfore I have posted possible changes to this in the form of tags that could be added to the raws. I have no idea as to how complex the scripting would have to be. 

While a lot of stuff has been changed in the various version,  combat and seiges have been neglected to the point where it is almost impossible to play DF do to the fact nothing intrusting  is going to happen to your fort. Having a bunch of light crossbows and muskets is useless as of the current version.

Code: [Select]
###Ask and vote on options for ranged:

///Most of these would be only of use to modders. Which are most of StO:GoB:II:DF players anyway.

{FIRE_RATE}

Rate of fire / Delay between shots. Unsure of measurement. RPM? Ticks? The usual random numbers?

{RELOAD_SPEED}

How long it takes refill weapons magazine / Delay before firing is resumed. Unsure of measurement.

{AMMUNITION_COUNT}

Amount of ammuniton expended before reload delay.

{PROJECTILE_COUNT}

Amount of projectiles fired at once. 1-100 (more or less). Ammo or weapon tag? Preferably ammo because you can have weaker birdshot cartridges that have more projectiles, and shot cartridges which have less projectiles all fire in the same weapon.

{PROJECTILE_SPREAD}

Amount of projectile spread. (inaccuracy?) 1-3 blocks perhaps? Spread over target body parts?

{NO_LAUNCHER}

Ammo tag used for throwing weapons. Giving it to spears would be awesome. Maybe also a percentage for possibility of throwing? Urist would be in trouble if the first thing he did was throw away his only weapon.

{QUIVER_LAUNCH}

Like no launcher but allows a launcher to be strapped to upper body. For example; ammo pouches, bandoliers, belts, ETC. because bashing sombody with an throwing knife bandolier or bola pouch seems absurd.

{SINGLE_USE}

Ammunition is destroyed on firing. To simulate firearms. Also should prevent the little piles that ruin your neat fortress.

{RESTRICTED_AMMO:NONE}

Quiver tag? So only certain ammo types can go in a certain quiver.

{SIDEARM}

Weapon is to be use only if primary is lost or combat becomes melee? More thought needed on the prospect (Plug bayonets???).

Options and criticism would be extremely welcome. Be as harsh as you want to.

Code: [Select]
###Ask and vote on options for seiges:

///Most of these would be only of use in entity raws.

{HAS_OUTLAWS}?
{RAIDER}?
{BANITRY}?

Would cause roming parties and camps of bandits/mercinarys that commonly attack isolated fortresses. Do to the fact that they are not attachet to said entity no wars would come of it. Or random groups could come out of all civs. More explination needed.

{PROTECTER}?
{DEFENDER}?
{SAVAGE}?

Like elves used to be; attacks settlery for multiple resons like killing to many trees or builing on sacred burial/mating grounds}

{CONQUERER}

Entity is constantly compelled to take over all neigbouring civs. Might be to aggresive for worldgen.

{ROAMING_RAIDER}

Entity has no settlements, instead travels and raids all settlements it passes. (Think Vikings or Mongols).

These are all problably terrrible Ideas I did not think about enough before posting. Other people posting refinements would be awsome.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:33:44 pm by Featheredragon »