Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where Can I read Warhammer 40k books?  (Read 12228 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Where Can I read Warhammer 40k books?
« on: June 21, 2015, 10:12:32 pm »

Recently I've gotten the urge to read more in-depth fluff about War-hammer 40k. I know this sounds selfish and greedy but I have to ask if there are any old novels online that are free to read/download?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Where Can I read Warhammer 40k books?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:47 pm »

Near as I can tell from some cursory searching, the legal answer is more or less nowhere (the illegal answer is, of course, that it's fairly trivial to find pretty much the entire black library for yarharing with a simple google search ::)). It looks like the black library has occasionally offered something free in the past, but so far as I noticed it was all limited time offer stuff. Maybe keep an eye on it, something else might pop out of 'em in the future.

You might check the fanfic req thread for some mentions of WH40k stuff, though. Some of the ones floating around are pretty fluffy, lore wise, and there's plenty of fanwork stuff floating around the net if you don't mind it not being official.

E: Though, as the belated side note, I wouldn't call it selfish or greedy at all. There's no real harm in asking if there's openly available resources for something you're interested in. Appreciation and interest isn't greed, on its own. Libraries are a virtue, heh.

Which... incidentally, it might not hurt to check your local library system, if there is one. There may be warhammer books in their catalog, somewhere. You can end up with some odd stuff on those shelves.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:42:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:16:19 pm »

Interesting tip with the Library stuff.

I said greedy because I want to read a GOOD book for free before actually spending money on the WH 40k series. Even if initial it's still taking advantage of the author who is not getting paid for me to read their work. Although, I would object to say that knowledge should always be free to those who pursue it hard enough.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 11:54:48 pm »

Mm... well, I'd prooobably recommend asking over in the WH40k thread as to which book(s) to hunt for first, then. The warhammer stuff in general isn't exactly the most amazingly written stuff, and while there's a fair few that are quite decent, there's also some that's... less so. Especially from a fluff point of view... there's a particular author (though I've forgotten which one it is -- they're fairly notorious, in any case) common to the black library that's well known for more or less crapping on the lore, iirc. Once you've got some titles, do the normal cheap-book thing -- scout used book stores, thrift stores, your local library, that sort of thing. Online isn't really an option if you're staying clean about it, at least insofar as official warhammer stuff goes (though, as noted, there's plenty of fanfiction/fanworks and whatnot floating around these days).

It looks rather like the black library prices their online stuff gorram ridiculously, so your best bet from a low-investment entry into the associated novels is probably going to be physical instead of online (barring the yarhar option, anyway), unless you just happen to get lucky and check BL when they're doing something charitable. Which is both fairly unlikely and may not happen for a while... plus there's no telling what they offer up -- it could very well be one of the junkier novels, or just snippets or whathaveyou.

Though if you're just looking for a good read instead of specifically WH40k stuff, there's pleeeeenty of stuff online these days -- fanfiction, original fiction, ebooks that have been released into the wild for whatever reason (there's a fair few authors out there that have first volume of trilogies and whatnot online, free, to hook potential readers), gutenberg, etc., etc. Perhaps look around and all that rot, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:08 am »

Book recommendations are in the general 40k thread, yes. Check my sig for link.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.