Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War of the Elemental Lords  (Read 1106 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War of the Elemental Lords
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:24 pm »

This is a board-game style game, with emphasis on diplomacy. The six elements of Light, Dark, Fire, Air, Earth, and Water are at war. They seek to conquer their rivals and terraform their planes, thus increasing their own power while weakening that of their rivals.

Large planes are worth 40 points, while small planes are worth 20. As lords of raw elements, you do not directly gain power from controlled lands. Instead, you gain power based on the state of the world. A plane of pure elemental form cannot exist; heavily light-aligned planes will also include large amounts of Earth and Air, and will power those elements accordingly.

Spoiler: Plane worth (click to show/hide)

Every turn, you'll gain up to your point total as units. These new recruits may be placed on planes of your color (Within halfway towards the next color). Rivals with at least that plane's point total in units will be able to block recruitment. New recruits may not move the turn they are placed, but will defend at full strength.

Units may move up to two spaces per turn (assuming they survive the first battle). They may also freely de-spawn and re-spawn as new recruits, at any distance.
There are no battle rolls. One unit will kill one unit, and be killed in turn. In case of multiple attackers, the defender splits their units evenly among all attackers. If any defender groups win, they will split again among any remaining attackers. After the defenders units are killed, attackers will all start splitting units, until only one alliance remains.
Units may transform into defenses, at the rate of 10 units to 1 defense. You may have up to (points/5) defenses. Defenses act like 5 units, but cannot move, only destroy themselves. Defenses defend last. A defense will be fully repaired if it is not killed (6 attackers will kill one defense).
Units may terraform planes. It takes 10 unit/turns to terraform a small plane into an adjacent element, or 20 unit/turns for large planes. That is 30 or 60 unit/turns for your opposing alignment.
Any one Unit may move or make defenses or terraform in any given turn.
Terraforming comes before unit spawns, but does not prevent it. It is possible for control to ping-pong between small groups in this way. (Take land > Terraform while they spawn > Lose land > Spawn while they terraform)

The elemental ring is as follows:
Code: [Select]
  ER - FI
  /     \
LI       DR
  \     /
  AR - WA

Because diplomacy is fun, I won't be forcing any agreements. You may make surprise attacks against allies whenever you wish. This will not give you a direct combat bonus. I'll assume that rival units in the same plane attack each other unless I'm specifically told by BOTH players that they want a non-aggression pact/alliance/one-time-right-to-move-through-one-space.

In the end, there can be only one elemental master. Allies ending the game as equals would result in an unstable peace (not the best possible ending).

To start, claim a color and PM me starting troop placements. You have 120. There is no limit to the number that may be on a plane together.

If at least four players request a board mulligan, I will re-make the board into one with more well-defined sides.

Here's the map. The tiny dots are defenses. Everyone has one large land with 3, and one small land with 1. Light orange is earth, and light green is air.

To make things even more interesting, troops will be invisible on the very first turn of play. After that, they will be visible as soon as they're spawned.

Please decide unit placement before conducting diplomacy.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Elemental Lords
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:10:15 am »

The elemental ring is as follows:
Code: [Select]
  ER - FI
  /     \
LI       DR
  \     /
  AR - WA
Why is water not opposed to fire and air not opposed to earth?

I claim Earth Elemental Lord and the colour Green

Actually no. The different elements have no differences, this game is too bland for me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:28:12 am by Demonic Spoon »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:07:37 am »

Games like this may be too complicated for many players. Including me.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:47:31 am »

Why is water not opposed to fire and air not opposed to earth?
Every color smoothly flows along the color wheel. It's not the best match-up, but it will let me smoothly slide the colors along when terraforming.

Games like this may be too complicated for many players. Including me.
Bah. I can't even make something simple when I'm specifically trying  :(