Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Happiness vs New Stress Level?  (Read 928 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Old Happiness vs New Stress Level?
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:35 pm »

What's the difference between the old happiness system and the new stress system?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Happiness vs New Stress Level?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »

It kind of smooths out the more glaring elements of dwarven sociopathy, generally allowing you a bit finer control of their emotional state if you pay attention, my dwarves are almost completely unstressed (-200k stress on average), but I'm an extremely gracious overseer.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:22:35 am »

Stress levels change a lot slower and more gradually than happiness did.
Tantrum spirals don't occur nearly as often now, or at least not without plenty of warning.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

LegCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but essentially, in the old system, positive and negative stress get added directly to your dorf's stress level. In the new system, positive and negative stress get added up in a small time frame up to a positive or negative cap, and then that net amount gets added to your dorf. This has the effect of "smoothing" things out and why large spikes in stress levels don't immediately send your little guys into a tantrum.
Every great fortress needs a Legendary Cheesemaker!