Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles in your fort should migrate to their appropriate site  (Read 735 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ran into an interesting little series of events in my most recent fort. My civ is at war with the local goblins, who recently executed the reigning monarch. My sword master was chosen as the next king (grrr), but when autumn rolled around that same year, the dwarven caravan showed up.

From what I understand, once you've got the monarch in your fort, you become the mountainhome - and as such don't receive caravans from your home civ anymore. But when I looked at my fort's title, it was still classified as a town. This leads me to believe that the mountainhome is still out there, yet the king is still just chilling in my little county.

So my suggestion, have the king get a move on back to the capital. Unless my fort is the civ capital, there really isn't a good reason why they would stay for any prolonged period of time.  I'm also aware that if a land title is inherited by one of your dwarves - they too will just stick around your fort for some reason, filling up your nobles screen. We've got nobles, functioning inheritance, and I'm fairly certain that nobles will migrate properly in worldgen - this seems like the next logical step. Next release is even bringing visitors who routinely enter and leave your site, so it's not as if this general concept is that far off. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles in your fort should migrate to their appropriate site
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:08 am »

I think this might be planned, but by that token...

When we get to be mountainhomes, I rather look forward to being able to send out caravans to the other forts. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles in your fort should migrate to their appropriate site
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »

The player should be given a choice if they should leave. Would prefer to have any legendaries who inherit a position to rule remotely from my fort instead. Maybe the dwarf's personality and relationships could come into play as to whether you get the option or not.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:18:51 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?