Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Does anyone find high numbers of dwarves to be stressful?  (Read 9106 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone find high numbers of dwarves to be stressful?
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »

Why do you have to deal with ghosts, if you have a constant strem of large numbers of immigrants on one side of the river? In all probability, useful workers won't get haunted in unslabbale numbers.
One wheel short of a wagon

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

Why do you have to deal with ghosts, if you have a constant strem of large numbers of immigrants on one side of the river? In all probability, useful workers won't get haunted in unslabbale numbers.
Never thought about that. They'd probably only haunt the people on their side of the ocean. Huh!
Might have to see whether that works out. Thanks for the idea :P

And the numbers aren't really unslabbable. It's just annoying that I have to delay construction on the bridge when I've only got a couple dorfs to begin with. It's going pretty slowly as is.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2015, 12:44:52 pm »

1 pult operator could get a bit of stone to the migrants prehaps... I've been wondering about your situation... what could you do with a few stones to get a pick or an axe? Which side does caravan come?

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »

My fort is on the north side of the ocean, migrants seem to be universally coming from the south, and all the caravans I've had thus far are from the north.

I could dig a tunnel under the bridge I suppose, but I don't like that thematically. For the moment, I'm building a narrower section of the bridge leading to the other side to speed up the process of reaching the other shore, but its still a four map tile gap. Its gonna take time. I'd like them to send a miner at some point, then they could not only live, buf they could begin to build from their end as well. But of course, they keep sending hunters, miscellaneous farmers, fishers, etc.

Naturally, they're too stubborn to admit they made a mistake and go home, so they die. At least for the moment.

Would a catapult reach that far? I never even thought of it. Iirc, the gap between shores is four map tiles, so its quite a ways, and I don't have a lot of experience with siege weapons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2015, 01:01:13 pm »

No idea. Probably not, though a ballista arrow might  :P

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »

No idea. Probably not, though a ballista arrow might  :P
Well, that's one way to save them from dying of thirst :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]