Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: I'm thinking about becoming a navy engineer  (Read 7023 times)

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm thinking about becoming a navy engineer
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2015, 09:21:20 pm »

Nice. ROTC if you can get it, reserves if not. That's an easy one. Good luck.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2015, 09:37:12 pm »

Thanks
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2015, 10:08:26 pm »

So, progress?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2015, 10:23:42 pm »

Progress?

Havnt been near a recruiter to ask about things
I have been working out more and getting in better shape, my whole body is sore .-. But it's worth it. Going to take a summer engineering course at the college I want to go to, the course should cover a broad range of engineering fields. Might find my minor that I want to do. But no progress on researching more military stuff.
Taking a personal finance course and am going to get to research nuclear engineering a tad more, seems like a well paying job that fits the kind of work place I would want to be in

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2015, 10:26:41 pm »

You working out for the military? There are lots of workouts and stuff you'll find online but the main bitch is running.

Run every day. Miles and miles. Work out to 3-5 a day if you can. They military likes to run you, it's the best way to induce stress and pain. Because, remember, both OCS and Basic/Boot are about teaching you to endure stress.

God I should start running more. Homie's gettin' fat!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2015, 10:52:53 pm »

Ya I need to get cardio in more definitly

My friend tells me it's also the easiest way to aged weight so probably going to start running a mile or two after summer school each day and working out because I am weak

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2015, 12:33:11 pm »

Progress?

Havnt been near a recruiter to ask about things
I have been working out more and getting in better shape, my whole body is sore .-. But it's worth it. Going to take a summer engineering course at the college I want to go to, the course should cover a broad range of engineering fields. Might find my minor that I want to do. But no progress on researching more military stuff.
Taking a personal finance course and am going to get to research nuclear engineering a tad more, seems like a well paying job that fits the kind of work place I would want to be in
I'd talk to a recruiter at first because it would seem like the nuke program would be easy to get into, but you would be wrong and there are shitloads of stipulations that occur with it. I'm actually set to leave with the Navy with the AECF program later this year, but they wanted me to do nuke school pretty bad.

I haven't read the whole thread, but from what I'm gathering you're still in highschool, which means you can take the ASVAB without going to MEPS. You'll want to do this, as you'll be under a lot of pressure to pick a job at MEPS and you'll want to know what you're qualified for before you spend 18 hours and all the patience you've ever possessed in your life at MEPS.

To automatically qualify for nuclear power training, you have to have a 91 overall score on the ASVAB, with "competitve" scores in mathematics, reasoning and electronics. With a highschool physics class worth of knowledge and a very poor ability to complete college algebra level equations, I scored a 95 and qualified on the test. I'm a reservist however, so nuclear wasn't an option for me, but I wasn't after it anyway.

If you go into a recruiting office with a score that qualifies you for Nuclear power, be aware that there's a shortage of nuke candidates in the Navy, all the time. There isn't a shortage of recruiters who are getting screamed at by E-7s to bump up numbers in any branch, however. This could make some less scrupulous recruiters lie to you about life as a nuke. My recruiting station actually has two or three guys who are currently in the navy's nuclear program that you can talk to about it, and I'd encourage you to find one that does the same. Be honest and forthcoming with your recruiter about an drug use, injuries and arrests, because the Navy can and will run a background check and likely find out anyway.

If you skip to the second page here you'll notice that nuke candidates actually sign a six year agreement instead of a four year one. This is because you go through two years of training, and that training is extremely rigorous and the Navy is not afraid to kick your ass out to the fleet undesignated if you fuck up during nuclear power school or your A school. You won't have much other to do than learn how to do nuke work though, and if you like chemistry and electronics it'll probably actually be pretty fun.

Another thing to think about, though, is that there is a possibility that you could end up on a submarine, or actually hate life as a nuke. Remember that, after you sign any contract, you are now no longer in charge of yourself. You're bound to the largest navy in the world, and they have a lot of needs and will send you to fill them, wherever that may be.

Also, nukes are currently the only rate to get cash bonuses for first time enlistment, but they have to be in writing. Mention that to your recruiter and probably get a contract lawyer to explain it to you so you don't misunderstand and fuck yourself out of thousands of dollars.

It's a great career option if you don't want to pay for school, and private companies LOVE Navy engineers.

A word of warning about NROTC though: You can only pick from 6ish commissions, and none of them are nuclear power. If you want to have your college experience at 18 for free, sure, great idea, but if you don't mind having it at 22/24 for free in exchange for a job you like, enlistment is probably a better idea.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]