Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes DF unique  (Read 1528 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
What makes DF unique
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

I was thinking about what it is that makes Dwarf Fortress different or special.  Or, a different game from everything else.

One unique element is the consequences passage of time.  The game goes through 4 seasons, with different things to look forward to or beware of in each.  Caravans, crops, migrants, diplomats, and especially weather.  Each year brings you closer to more sieges.  Population keeps growing the more time passes.  You can't control time, you can only try to work faster and adapt to it.  It's more than just a race against the computer.  Sieges are like the typical "player vs. AI" game of most RTS.

Next is the buildup of responsibilities.  You have to feed, booze, and clothe your population/adventurer or bad things will happen.  You have to create things for your nobles, and obey laws.  Having to feed yourself comes from roguelikes and old RPGs (Ultima comes to mind), but its more important in fortress mode where you have to take care of your whole population.  Having a wide variety of plants, with seeds, and ways to use them seems unique.  Maybe Populous/Black and White/Civilization had similar ideas?  The whole system of stockpiles feels more flexible in dwarf fortress, though.  You can be as prepared or unprepared as you want.  

Lack of control over population is pretty unique, its not like the other games where you need a certain amount of food to grow... you'll grow first, and then are expected to make the food!  Nobles will come whether you are ready or not.

Having a huge procedurally generated world is special for DF.  Civilization was the first game I played like it, but the concept is taken to the limit in DF.  Geological accuracy is unique to this game.  And you can select your starting location!

DF has the best fluid simulation, and lets you use water for a variety of purposes.  And magma.  The games you can play with water are what I feel are the most unique parts of DF.

Individuality and customization of each dwarf is pretty unique.  Everyone has a lineage, thoughts, personality, and separate stats and skills.  It makes the world "alive", especially when these people can show up around the world after the fort is over.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
Re: What makes DF unique
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Nothing you mentioned is really unique in games. I am a hardcore gamer, I know. I can count the number of games I ever played in the thousands.

What makes DF really unique is the way everything is centered on the theme, as well as it's very own world created by Toady.

What makes the game interesting is that you have a free flowing simulation in which you can do almost everything you want to, with the limitation of the code.

What make it appealing is that even if you find it imperfect, you know Toady is working on it at this very moment and that the game is not set in stone and will continuously improve until it get to beta status.

What makes the game so original is the way it's made and maintenanced by Toady. Instead of foccusing mainly on graphics and the amount of money you can squeeze out of it, Toady decided to take the often proven oldschool method and nutured this game with love and attention in his very own way.

That is, my friend, what make this 2008 game truely unique in comparison to the vast majority of other games made by big productions houses...

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

This reminds me.
Wasn't there supposed to be an Abandonia reloded review of DF?
It would fit in now perfectly since there wasn't any games since 15-12-2007.
Which cannot be said for Abandonia unfortunately...
[/OFFTOPIC]
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

Yup, I'm supposed to do it. But I been really busy in the holydays and all, looking for a new job, etc... Time to get to it now.

It's not that easy to do actually... They got into an argument at AR stating that the game is still in Alpha and that the review will be outdated in no time. I said I can do something about that, but it's kind of hard for me to write something good as english is not my first language.

What I have in mind right now would be to find a bloodline game (I been trying to find again the thread in which they built a second fortress and cut themselves out in 23a), take a small part of it's text and use it as an introduction.

That would probably be a good and easy way to prevent the "outdated" review as texts written by players tend to be rpish, not based on DF performance.

Anybody who wish to help will be welcome.  :)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>as english is not my first language.</STRONG>

I wouldn't have guessed that.

Boatmurdered is a good example of DF in action.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

Thank you. My first language is French.

I seem to write english to well that it actually get me into trouble sometimes as people expect me to have a much wider vocabulary than I actually have already. Sometimes I just can't get my point across successfully.