Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uniform help? (Solved -- It's a bug)  (Read 595 times)

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
Uniform help? (Solved -- It's a bug)
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

It's my first time making a military, and I need help. My dwarves never wear the entire uniform I've set out for them. When I tell them to wear three mail shirts, some dwarves only wear two, and most of the dwarves don't wear the assigned helms and none wear the gauntlets, although all of them wear their greaves and cloaks. Trying to get them to wear a breastplate as well is futile.
I assume it has something to do with weight limits? If I use steel instead of iron, will it be lighter? Or are my dwarves just not strong enough (my militia commander has the "weak" attribute, and moves really slow)? If I'm trying to make them wear too much, which armor pieces should I drop and which should I keep?

EDIT: Thanks to a sentence on the Military Quickstart wiki page, I've found the problem:
"Your recruits must not have the Mining, Wood Cutting or Hunting labors enabled. These labors create an invisible "uniform" that interferes with the military uniform. Disable all of these labors on your recruits, if they're currently enabled."
Bug #1451: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
I had "Inactive = Uniformed" on, and every one of my dwarves had the mining labor enabled. =_= I've only noticed trouble with the armor, though -- the weapons seem fine.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:42:53 pm by oriramikad »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform help?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »

Dunno about uniforms, but I do know that iron and steel (and bronze, approximately) are all the same density, but steel is FAR better armour than iron (tho' iron is not "bad", and better than bronze).

Bronze is a little heavier (by about 5%, and decent for military use), and copper heavier still (about 11% more than steel, and for most military purposes FAR less effective than any of the others).

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Density

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform help? (Solved -- It's a bug)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »

While there are certainly problems with mining, woodcutting, and hunting labors, it sounds to me like your dwarves are wearing clothing that conflicts with their armor. Toggle them to "replace clothing" and they should pick up all their armor correctly.

oriramikad

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McUrist cancels job: Waiting for new laptop
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform help? (Solved -- It's a bug)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »

Thanks -- they're all wearing the proper armor now.  :D