Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Destroyer Destroyed From Beneath.  (Read 1124 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Building Destroyer Destroyed From Beneath.
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »

Building destroyers cannot destroy buildings unless they can path to the building on the building's z-level. This means that building destroyers cannot destroy, for instance, a forbidden hatch above them (note that non-forbidden, i.e. passable, hatches are vulnerable!), or a magma forge from the magma underneath it unless a clear alternate path to the building exists.

Is this no longer true? A magma man just destroyed my smelter from below in the magma sea with no clear alternate paths that I am aware of.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Building Destroyer Destroyed From Beneath.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:15:13 pm »

Are you 100% sure you had the impassable building tile over the open floor tile? And that there were no other access points?

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:01:56 pm »

More like 98% sure since my memory can be faulty. I am going to try it again since I still have the the fortress and the magma man went back to the magma sea.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:10 pm »

Did you take into account climbing? Do workshops even protect from that (i.e., from a diagonal upwards climb?)

It's really a better idea to keep them out of there in the first place. Imps and magma crabs can still attack your dwarves from underneath workshops.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:33:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:45 am »

I'm with Bumber on this one. I siphon off some magma from the sea into a channel I then close off with a drawbridge. The diagonal climb seems like a probable culprit.

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »

I tried it again for some !!Science!! and I confirmed it. I don't know if climbing had anything to do with it or not, but I have two missing dwarves and a two destroyed workshops >.> The only way it could have been done was from below.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »

I tried it again for some !!Science!! and I confirmed it. I don't know if climbing had anything to do with it or not, but I have two missing dwarves and a two destroyed workshops >.> The only way it could have been done was from below.

Due to a bug, flying and swimming creatures can move "vertically diagonal" in certain circumstances. If you have an up/down stairway tile within one tile of a magma tile on the level below, there is a path into your fortress.

side view:

#X
7#

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:35 pm »

Are you sure it's limited to flyers and swimmers? I suspect climbers can do it as well, although I have no proof. The safe bet is to don't take the risk (and where there are climbers, flyers can appear anyway). It's REALLY annoying to be invaded from the magma sea or a cavern you haven't even discovered (I know I've had magma crabs [swimmers] enter from the still undiscovered (and thus unrevealed) magma sea after the miner stopped digging Up/Down staircases because of "hot stone").