Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Holding a fort festival?  (Read 581 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Holding a fort festival?
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:23:53 am »

Just had a major goblin siege, and , for the first time, I've decided to do something about the massive pile of bodies. This, however, entails doing something about all the other huge piles of bodies. This will mean that large numbers (very large, if they go after each severed limb individually) of dwarves will be unhappy due to trauma. While I have a stable and happy fort, I would prefer to do something about this, and maybe try and give every dwarf a happy thought to counteract the horror. While I am aware that a bunch of statues and longer breaks will help, as will room quality, can anyone suggest any one-off event in which would make everyone a bit happier? I have fairly considerable resources, and virtually unlimited wealth.

I would like something like an easily set up whole-fort mist generator, which would only be used once. I know that this probably isn't possible, but if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them.
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holding a fort festival?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »

I think you're out of luck there. However, a waterfall and mist generator that you could turn off to save on FPS if needed might help as a longer turn counter measure. Another approach is to pick the haulers carefully alternatively monitor them to pull them off duty when they start to get too stressed out.
Yet another approach is an engineering one, i.e. to use water to push the bodies away (preferably into a hole with a grate to let the water through but not the bodies), or just burn the bodies away with magma. I don't know if setting fire to the environment will destroy bodies, but if it does, that might be an alternative.

Since discipline seems to desensitize dorfs you might try to draft your militia into garbage hauling (that's the reverse of drafting, isn't it?).

Edit: Using civilian alerts of area forbidding/claiming might get you to clear out one area of bodies at a time, limiting exposure.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:27:06 pm by PatrikLundell »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 03:16:59 pm »

A one-shot mister would not take less work than a permanent mister, and possibly more.

You'd want either a (large) cistern that you'd fill and then ceremonially open for the festival, or just pumps that you'd turn on and then off when the mister has served its purpose. (Or a river tile w/ a drawbridge if you want to set it up deeper down.)

Fwiw, I have a small permanent mister at the entry to my hospital for sanitation and happy patients, and another at the entry to my dining hall/food stocks to (try to) guarantee that every dwarf gets it at least once every time they eat. I'd have a 3rd at the above-ground entry/exit to the fort itself, but the layout wasn't friendly to that end (didn't plan ahead, ahem).

Also, you have to be careful about wide-area misting, as you have to worry about drainage, and water will create "muddy" floor tiles - if they've been engraved, that's a bad thing, or can be.

LegCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:29 pm »

If your fort has a central staircase, you can channel from a source to the staircase or build long walls with one space between them and pump water through it. If you channel, then a floodgate hooked to lever will control how much time you want the water to run. If you use the pump, then just have a dorf pump it for a short time. Make sure your central staircase is 3x3 or larger, otherwise the waterfall will mess with pathing. First though, find an unground source of water next to the map edge, and dig from your central staircase to that water source. Block it off with a grate, floodgate, or fortifications for security and, now, you have sewer to which your waterfall can drain out to.

I think a one time event won't help because of the way stress is calculated. Within a certain period of time, negative and positive thoughts are added up and then the net gain or loss (up to a cap) is added to stress level. I don't know the time frame nor the cap, but this implies that you want to expose the dorfs to as many happy thoughts sources as continuously as possible to negate or counteract the negative thought sources (I.e. Dead bodies). This is why the mist generator is great, it's a continuous happy thought source. But the effect can be simulated with putting down a bunch of high value furniture (it doesn't just have to be statues) along the most used routes to continuously give your dorfs happy thoughts. It's an issue of balancing/equilibrium rather than adding up large totals! Hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:01:43 pm by LegCheeseMaker »
Every great fortress needs a Legendary Cheesemaker!