Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you farm rice?  (Read 1208 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
How do you farm rice?
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »

I have rice "seeds" (read: rice, they eat/brew the "rice plants", instead) but rice is not an option for planting in aboveground farms.  I have read about other people planting rice plants, however, but have no idea what they are doing any differently than I am doing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you farm rice?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:19 pm »

I think rice only grows in tropical biomes. You don't get the option to plant crops that won't survive in your biome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:41:00 pm »

I think rice only grows in tropical biomes. You don't get the option to plant crops that won't survive in your biome.

Tell that to the rice I just harvested.  :P

OK, so I need to put the farm plot in the actually tropical biome portion of my embark, and it will suddenly start working again?

What happens if I place a farm at the intersection of the biomes?  (I'm guessing game crash...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »

Tell that to the rice I just harvested.  :P

OK, so I need to put the farm plot in the actually tropical biome portion of my embark, and it will suddenly start working again?

What happens if I place a farm at the intersection of the biomes?  (I'm guessing game crash...)

IIRC you can plant both?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:01 pm »

I believe it depends on the first tile (northwest corner). But they will definitely not seed if the plant can't grow on that tile.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!