Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: resurrecting an extinct civ  (Read 2966 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: resurrecting an extinct civ
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 11:48:31 pm »

It sounds like you just got refugees coming in, Agdune.  Even if there are no other sites, you can still have refuge groups wandering around hiding in caves.  This is how one "revives" an extinct civilization that has 0 sites.  All the sites are gone, but there are survivors that still cling to the civilization name. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:26 am »

@Agdune:
If you don't want migration waves you can simply set the pop cap to your current population (leaving the strict pop cap higher), leaving you to try to get the buggers to breed without external interference (apart from Titans, Goblins, Necromancers, Keas, and Kobolds, of course).

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 04:41:58 am »

@Niddhoger: oh... okay, but the world gen info said there was only two dwarves in the world pop, or does that only count the dwarves occupying sites?

@PatrikLundell: I'd thought about trying that, but I think the last time I made a serious attempt with repopulation the soft cap wasn't there to try it with. Or maybe it was and I didn't really understand it at the time...
I'm Mr. Cellophane

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 04:48:33 am »

Since I'm using the Lazy Newb Pack that's got the two pop caps available directly in the GUI, I can't tell you in which file the caps are located, but the wiki will know. I've gradually increased the soft cap to control the size of the immigration waves (I don't like monster waves of twice the fortress' current population), and that seems to work.

Dragoon508

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 05:25:19 am »

If you get two fortresses set up at a decent size, does the non played one send out settlers if they have a pop problem?

I know with the current version that sometimes new settlements happen, so my thoughts are that if they keep breeding they will be able to send out settlers especially if you have hit the population cap on the fortress you are running at the time

LegCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:03 pm »

I recently started a map with a dead civ. I played the first fortress for one year and got the first two waves plus the caravan. I retired it as soon as spring came. I did the same for a second fortress, playing it for one year. The chef in the first fortress came as the outpost liaison in autumn! I retired it and started a third fortress at the beginning of the third year. In the autumn wave, I got dorfs from the first fortress!!! I know because they came with the same nickname and skill set as I left them with. I left the first fortress with only 12 dorfs, so I'm really surprise I got their dorfs. It's sad because if the dwarves start jumping between fortresses, it'll make 'resurrecting' the civ much slower.
Every great fortress needs a Legendary Cheesemaker!
Pages: 1 [2]