Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiped out entire civs in world gen  (Read 484 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiped out entire civs in world gen
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »

I want to make a medium sized world with 5 civs, one human, one elf, one dwarf, one goblin and one Kobold, this seems simple enough except when you realize that 89% of the time half the civs are wiped out by something in the first year of world generation, I need a work around, something to stop this from happening, I can deal with them maybe getting conqoured by a near by race but thats not whats happening.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiped out entire civs in world gen
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:43 pm »

I am open to suggestions, altering world stats of the world, editing Creature text files, editing Entity files, just anything that would work.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:01 pm »

Reducing the number of megabeasts and titans might help, or you could go through the legends and see how they're dying out. If it's war I don't think there's a lot you can do.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »

I usually find that megabeasts are the problem. I always end up doubling-down on the number of civs. This tends to ensure that one of each civ survives.

I wonder if increasing the population needed for megabeast attacks would work in worldgen?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »

Reducing the number of megabeasts and titans might help, or you could go through the legends and see how they're dying out. If it's war I don't think there's a lot you can do.
Yeah, but iv reduced them so much now that theres so few of them that theres only like one of each, plus I worry I will have a world without one of the main types of mega beasts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »

Balance the world for civs.
Humans = woodland, plains, mineral wealth.
Dwarves = mountains, mineral wealth
Goblins = evil, coupla demons. Maybe other civs.
Elves = Good? Wild? Forests? Probably. Who caaaaares?
Kobold = caves. Other civs?

All civilisation = rivers, streams, lakes, large non-saline bodies of water, hospitable climates, etc.
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:06 pm »

There is a separate forum for world generation questions if you specifically want one of each (rather than e.g. each race within range of your embark). The people there are quite knowledgeable and helpful. (Not that we won't try to help here).

Getting many mega beasts and many surviving civs at the same time is tricky, especially in small worlds (I use pocket ones for FPS reasons). More civs increases the chances of some surviving, and I assume more sites does as well (a megabeast stomping one out of 3 sites rather than one out of one). A shorter history gives less time for megabeasts (or other civs) to eliminate civs. On the other hand, more sites probably means more chances of the megabeasts losing...
Also note that civs have biome requirements, so with some parameters you make it unlikely for some races to get a foothold (elves and humans quite often lose out for me).

Another path is to generate world after world until you get something that's reasonably OK.