Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do During the Summer in Small Town America?  (Read 1443 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
What to do During the Summer in Small Town America?
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »

First of all,

The title is slightly misleading, I have things to do. A fair amount actually, but they're not really things i'm motivated to do at the moment. My university gets out pretty early and i've essentially been devoid of human contact outside my family for the past two weeks and it's starting to fuck with me. On top of that, i'm alone much of the day. When this happens, and i'm missing my friends, I start to get depressive. I can feel it already.

Again, the title is misleading. I live in more smallish-medium town America; there's about 10,000 people in my town, but of course most of it is sprawling suburb/rural area. In short, I was never good at finding something to do where I could meet people and make friends around my hometown. Like... I need some sort of social activity I can do everyday. Something that fulfills me and allows me to get on with all the other shit i've got to do (when my social life starts to suffer, my school work/personal projects/general motivation does as well.) I guess it's an extremely vague question, but what the fuck do I do during the summer??? It's a bit late to get a job (I think, I really don't know) and actually don't have any job experience. So ya.

Where do I even start?

As per usual when I make these types of threads, that is all probably a bit vague to be useful, so if you have questions that can help you answer my question (or you're just a curious bugger) feel free to ask, and of course, thanks to anyone who helps in advance!
Cheers.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What to do During the Summer in Small Town America?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:33 pm »

Things to do occasionally (i.e., not every day), and that can involve inviting your friends:
  • Depending where you are you might look into hiking/caving/etc. I know that my town certainly has a bunch to see not too far from it.
  • Movie party! Pick a random series of movies and take a whole day to watch your way through them (works best if you have a big TV/projector). Bonus points: Do this with a series, then go watch a new release in theaters of the same series on the next day.
  • On that note, going to the movies with friends.
  • LAN/generic video game party! Invite some friends over and play games all day! (Just don't play Mario Party, it ruins friendships).
  • Board/other game party! Pick up a handful of board or other non-electronic games and play them!
  • Get interested in GeoHashing! (Basically it gives you a random latitude/longitude point fairly close to you every day. Go there and document your journey. The site I linked to has all sorts of snazzy awards should you chose to endow yourself with them).

Things that don't involve friends, but that you can do every day:
  • Draw something!
  • Start learning a foreign language! (I myself am working on Japanese for my current summer break.)
  • Start learning to play an instrument! (Ukulele, anyone?)
  • If you are a person who doesn't already do this, set aside 30 minutes a day to work out in or go running.
  • Read a book! If you don't have any to read visit your local library and check some out!
  • Learn how to code Python! (Or C++, then come help us develop Cataclysm. Link in my sig :P).
  • Ask your parents if there is anything they want you to do. I know my Dad or Mom could certainly come up with one cleaning/working thing each day that I could do for them.
  • Go on a bike ride!
  • Start watching a new TV series!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45:52 am »

Hi, it's me, the local employment advocate!

It's a bit late to get a job (I think, I really don't know) and actually don't have any job experience. So ya.

So did everyone, at one point. And nah, it's not 'too late' to get a job. Low-level jobs have a lead time of days, not months.

I'm not sure what you're motivated to do, but the thing that will probably do you the most long-term good is starting to find a job. It might not be fun, but having some cash in your pocket is nice, and work experience, too. It definitely can save you lots of future financial pain.

Roy has a lot of good suggestions, and you'll still have plenty of time for those kinds of activities with most jobs you'll hold. But yeah. We're in a capitalist economy, where you thrive and starve by what you can do for others. Jobs are important.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »

All of the suggestions so far have been good (and I can't believe someone else mentioned Geohashing before I did).

I kind of get the impression that a lot of the friends you're missing are friends from university, who may not be local to you during the summer? So if you're looking for ways to meet new people, here's my suggestions:

• Get a job. You're a college student with no work experience, so you won't likely get a great job. But get one now and next summer you'll be a college student WITH work experience, so you might do better.
  • Join a club. meetup.com is one resource for finding local groups who might share a common interest with you, but often you can find information at places like a local library or postings on a buliten board somewhere in town.
  • If religious, get involved in activities through a local church. A lot of churches organize social activities beyond just the sunday sermons. Obviously, if you're not a religious person, or belong to a religion which does not do this, you can ignore this suggestion.
  • Volunteer. A lot of charitable organizations have volunteer positions. Same with libraries, museums, and hospitals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »

So. I looked in to geohashing! It is something that is EXTREMELY interesting to me! However, I live in Connecticut, and unfortunately due to the size of the state, it's more driving than hiking/adventuring, and most of the coordinates are just highways! Alas, if only I lived in a larger state.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'll update you as I go alone here, but for the moment I think i'm going to be doing some writing (maybe even for money.)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:26:34 pm »

Have you tried to get a part time job or something? Extra money is always nice. Other than that... drink? Videogames? Pretend to be a hobo and people watch?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:13 pm »

You should do what every young man should be doing.
-Lifting weights.
-Chasing girls.
-Coding (or writing if you are not a coder, or drawing, whatever your art is. Art is important).

That's what I did. And now I'm an attorney who plays Dwarf Fortress and gives advice to kids on the web and has no girlfriend...wait. Ignore that last part. :-)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:17:04 pm by Jo »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »

You should do what every young man should be doing.
-Lifting weights.
-Chasing girls.
-Coding (or writing if you are not a coder, or drawing, whatever your art is. Art is important).

That's what I did. And now I'm an attorney who plays Dwarf Fortress and gives advice to kids on the web and has no girlfriend...wait. Ignore that last part. :-)

Haha thank you,

Things aren't so bad now that my friends are back... and I only have about a month left before i'm off to Prague for July. However, I am decidedly terrible at all of those things. I'm not bad at creative writing, but outside of poetry I haven't been too motivated to work. I'm trying to get some people together to write a screenplay, but no one is ever interested at the same time. I fill the time with visiting my grandparents and playing videogames mostly it seems. A few parties here and there, but nothing exciting really.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »

No biggie man. You are living it up. There's no rule that says you need to be productive every freakin' hour of the day. That's what teachers seem to want. Bah!

Think of it this way. If you want to write a book some day about something, well you need to go out and experience life or it won't be an interesting book. Even scifi and fantasy requires real life experience in many (most?) cases.

Nothing wrong with going and finding who you are and what you like and what you are passionate about. Maybe in Prague you'll discover a knack or love for languages. Who knows! Whatever happens it's going to be awesome. Prague is a fantastic city.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 08:02:28 pm »

Indeed, i'm really excited to go! Between the all the food and beer to try, the sights to see, and the projects to do, i'm sure it will be the trip of a lifetime! Alas, eight years of French has taught me that I am decidedly BAD at learning new languages, perhaps my brain plasticity is too low, but ya.