Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf in cage, ignored by all...  (Read 760 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Dwarf in cage, ignored by all...
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:40:00 am »

Yep.

Built the cage ({b} {j}) in the dining room, went in and unassigned him via {q} + {select} + {Enter}, and... months pass, nuthin'.

Idlers with "No job" and all hauling labors on just stand around and gawk, sippin' their dwarf wine and remarking on how thirsty he's getting. Sheesh.

I can see the job via the {j}obs listing - floats around, sometimes toward the top, sometimes the bottom. Nothing seems to help.

Tried rebuilding, tried a lot of things. Once he's unassigned he's no longer listed in the {q} menu to assign/unassign again, if that's any diff.

Any thoughts, or is is asta la urista, baby?

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in cage, ignored by all...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:51:21 am »

But why would you do that?  ???
You can release him using a lever and use a chain instead and wall him in and lock the door or something, if you are bent on keeping him detained.
Or try giving extra feed prisoner job at max priority through j-m, if it is even possible, but this is rather temporary solution.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:07:17 am »

He got there by accident, I want him OUT. Fort is still young, he represents over > 7% of the labor, and about a third of the mining force (and is not too shabby as acheese maker either!). ;D

Is the automatic release the best way then? Is the "unassign" method just too unreliable?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 04:35:13 am »

If the buggers just won't release him, yes, I'd hook a lever to the cage and pull the lever. If you happen to get a caravan, you can haul the cage to the trade depot, under the assumption that they then will release him the same way hostiles are released when you haul their cages off to the depot, since neither hostiles nor dorfs can be sold.

Dorfs receive special handling when it comes to cages. I've had captive hostile dorfs (necromancers and undead), and they can't be moved between cages nor pitted, since they just won't show up in the lists. It's possible this special handling also makes them impossible to release using the normal method. To get rid of these dorfs I've hooked a lever to a cage, stationed the militia around it, and ordered the lever to be pulled. The militia the slaughters the undead/necro as it's released (not a safe method, though, one militia member has had the motor nerves in one hand severed by one of the buggers, despite it being stripped first). I haven't tried the manual release method because that would put the civilian releasing the monster at risk.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:32:31 pm »

I actually had done more digging after I posted this (individual effort - who'da thunk it?!) and found the Caravan tactic - turns out that since non-pets can't be traded, and Dwarves, like Gobbos, don't have the [PET] tag in their RAWS, then they don't make it to the Depot when their cage is carried there for trade. No papers, no admittance - dwarven bureaucracy is your friend!

The 'van had just arrived when I saved before I posted this, so that was too easy to not try, worked like  charm. He's off and catching up on his sleep now.

Thanks again, to both of you, and anyone who would have answered but got beat to it. o/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:54:04 pm »

Congratulations, and thanks for the feedback!
Always good to get confirmation that something that should work actually does.
However, if your dorf is off to sleep there's something seriously wrong with him! He should obviously drink 'till he drops and get someone else to carry him to bed!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:15:29 am »

As a follow up, I was doing some experimenting w/ collapsing traps, and had a dwarf chaining one last animal under a floor section when it was triggered. He was badly injured, but ALSO got knocked into a cage trap.

I figured he was in deep yoghurt, but I also fdidn't have anything to lose by seeing if I could save him, but before I could build the cage somewhere I noticed someone was already on the way with a "Retrieve Injured" job (or words to that effect, may not be exact wording).  I expected him to just cancel the job when he got to the cage, but NO - next thing I knew, he had Urist McTornArtery over his shoulder and off to the Hospital, not a moment's hesitation!

So, that's another way (tho' not exactly perfectly controllable). Just thought I'd mention it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 06:21:28 am »

Nice info! Thanks for that!