Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile questions  (Read 794 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpile questions
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »

First question

How do I set a stockpile to accept only decorated goods?  For instance decorated mechanisms.

Thanks.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »

I don't think there is a stockpile setting for this. There are two work arounds I can think of:
- Link the output of your decorating workshop to a stockpile. If needed have several stockpiles and change the linkage as you work.
- Specify that the stockpile only takes items of a minimum quality. This will probably get your masterworks non decorated stuff in there as well, though.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:04:34 pm »

Thanks much.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:05:59 am »

I believe option one in the second responder's comment is the way to go!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »

- Specify that the stockpile only takes items of a minimum quality. This will probably get your masterworks non decorated stuff in there as well, though.
Unfortunately there isn't a setting to just check the decoration quality. Total quality gives the greater between the core quality and decoration, so if the decoration quality isn't greater than the core quality there's no way to tell.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 01:36:15 pm »

@Bumber:
Sounds odd. If I understand you correctly, you say the quality is the higher of that of the item or of the decoration, rather than the "quality" inferred backwards from the sum of the value of the item and that of the decoration?
I'm not doubting you, it just sounds strange, so I'd like you to confirm I've understood you correctly.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:23 pm »

@Bumber:
Sounds odd. If I understand you correctly, you say the quality is the higher of that of the item or of the decoration, rather than the "quality" inferred backwards from the sum of the value of the item and that of the decoration?
I'm not doubting you, it just sounds strange, so I'd like you to confirm I've understood you correctly.
Total quality means the highest between the craftsdwarfship of the item and the craftsdwarfship of its components (or decorations).
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:08:24 pm »

(Edit - Noticed after the fact that I jumped track in my quality symbols - the -axe- became a +axe+ after getting decorated, and that does NOT happen. Fixed below.)

No, of course you can do it. Well, kind of. Maybe. (This is Dwarf Fortress, after all...)

First, for any newer players, let's be clear about the diff between Value and Quality. V & C are not related except mathematically - basic Value of an item x Quality = final Value. It's the diff between the highest quality sponge on the market and the lowest quality private luxury yacht - low quality can still be high value if the base value starts large, but if the base value starts low (a "sponge") even the highest quality won't help much in final value.  Make all the beds you want, one crappy weapon-trap spiked ball will be worth more than the best of them.

If you <<decorate>> something, that simply adds to the value, simply the item starting Value + decoration 1 + d2 + d3... unlimited (in theory?). Once decorated, the Quality of the decoration is shown outside the <<angle brackets>>. So if you start with a well-crafted -steel axe-, and add ≡ exceptional ≡  decorations to it, you now have a masterfully decorated ≡<<-steel axe->>≡  - the axe itself is still just -well crafted- Quality as far as combat goes, but for Value, it's now the value of a {-steel axe-} + { ≡ exceptional decorations ≡}.

Okay, back to the OP...

Now, in the Stockpile Settings, for any Items that have Quality (not "wood" or "stone", etc), you can select a range for both "Core Quality" (the Quality of the item itself) and "Total Quality" (the higher of Core or Decorated Quality). (Note that "Total Quality" is perhaps a poorly worded term - "Overall" Quality might better express the concept - ymmv, but you know what's meant.)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_quality#Quality_levels_in_stockpile_settings

The problem is that the simple difference of "decorations" isn't acknowledged unless those increase the Total Value (the higher of Core and Decorated) - no diff between a +steel ax and a +<<+steel axe>>+, unfortunately - both the same "Total Quality". So this is best only if you start with low-quality items (like stone mugs made by a Dabbling Stonecrafter, or goblinite trash), and have them decorated by a highly-skilled Craftsdwarf who is guaranteed to improve on that low quality.

And that's tough, b/c unless you lock him in with the specific items you want decorated, he chooses items at random - maybe the one nearest to him after he goes and gets a drink or wakes up from a sleep. Yay for the ≡<<larch barrel>>≡ or ≡<<pig tail sock>>≡. :/

You can also try to micro-manage items, sorting near diff Workshops by Core Quality - ymmv whether that's worth the trouble.

Sorry couldn't be more help, GL!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:44:39 pm by Albedo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »

Thanks Bumber & Albedo!

I'll add to the confusion:
- The "Total Quality" is LOWER than the core quality for worn items (normally clothing, but e.g. doors scratched by FBs, items damaged by fire or stuff with quality in refuse stockpiles also apply). This can be used to save all the good clothing for your dorfs by setting up a clothing stockpile that only accepts total quality of masterworks or artifact, while crappy worn stuff (and newly produced stuff unfit for dwarven usage) can be stored in a clothing stockpile with a total quality permission of all but masterworks and artifact close to the trade depot (with bins in the stockpile for easy hauling). By periodically raiding the dorfs' cabinets of xsocksx and dumping those into a dumping zone close to the trade depot and then mass unforbid them you can get the stuff hauled off to the trade depot stockpile for disposal (a.k.a. sale).
-It ought to be possible to select exactly the item you want to process by dumping it in a dump zone on top of a stockpile linked to the workshop in question and then unforbid it. To avoid getting unwanted items in that stockpile it can be set to "take from links only".
- A DFHack plugin (alt-a) allows you to select the materials to use for item production (e.g. a feather-wood crossbow for your hammerer by selecting feather-wood wood as the source material). It looks as if you can also select the item to use for processing, although I've never tried that.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 09:51:02 am »

You are best setting up stockpile links.  Set up an "input" stockpile that only accepts the items you wish to decorate, say masterwork (if you care for quality, I don't see hte point of decorating junk) featherwood beds.  This stockpile has the "core quality" setting to masterwork (again, technically optional) and only accepts beds from linked carpenter(s).  It then links directly to the jewelers shop/forge/craft shop/tailor/whatever you want to do the decorating.  Next make a mirror-stockpile to the first, but have it only take from the decorating shop.  It'll have the same core quality/material as the input stockpile.  This is your output stockpile... and sadly the only way to check its progress is to just watch it.  If you only had 10 beds to decorate, you know you're done when the input is empty and output full.  Selecting them for placement is another headache as you cannot winnow down the search results for just furniture in a single stockpile (unless you forbid all the free un-decorated furniture).  Containers make this exceptionally aggravating due to all of your spare sand and flour/dye bags showing up. 

Remember, hit "x" for expand when you are wanting to place decorated goods, as stated they'll show up with the double brackets *<<*whatever*>>*