Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mountains of unusable partial skeletons  (Read 1765 times)

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mountains of unusable partial skeletons
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »

this has become a huge pain. at first i wanted to butcher them for their bones, but apparently sapient beings (trolls, goblins.. werelizards??) are impossible to butcher and they just pile up in my refuse stockpile without EVER going away. is there a purpose to them? or am i supposed to just atom smash?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: mountains of unusable partial skeletons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 06:37:47 pm »

They serve no purpose - atomsmash them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:39:14 pm »

can a necro raise partial skeletons?

necromancer zombie death pits should be fun.....(if I could just get mine to turn around I would have one. but noooooo just keep facing the wall)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:22 am »

Litter them along the invader entrance. They shall know beforehand what awaits them every time they attack.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

If you don't want to atom smash you could do this:

XXXXXXXXX
 XXXXXXXXXDYYY
DXXXXXXXX  YZY
 XXXXXXXXXDYYY
 XXXXXXXXX

D=Door
X= Space for a Refuse pile that will fill with bodies
Y = smaller room
Z=Dump in the middle

Then, when you refuse pile fills up you just "Dump" the bodies into the little room. This also helps with game speed issues due to Miasma.

The reason for two doors is so when you dump the dorfs don't have to crawl all over each other.

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 01:25:27 pm »

Corpses are useless, but body parts are not. If you chop a goblin's arm off, this will eventually degrade into usable goblin bones (for crafts or crossbow bolts to use on their cousins).

I use swordsdwarfs/serrated weapon traps to get maximum usability out of my goblin invasions :P I have a refuse stockpile to take body parts exclusively and then another one for corpses which I periodically dump into a soon-to-be magma chute.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:49 am »

I have a refuse stockpile to take body parts exclusively and then another one for corpses which I periodically dump into a soon-to-be magma chute.

What are the stockpile settings to do this?

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:23:08 am »

Make a refuse stockpile first (p > r) then use q and hover over the stockpile and check its settings ('s'). Navigate down to "Refuse" and then forbid every other section except for corpses (such as "Item Types," "Body Parts," and "Skulls"). For the body parts, depending on which parts you want to store there, you will want to forbid everything except for "Body Parts". I don't put "Bones," "Skulls," or "Teeth" in the body parts stockpile, because these can actually just be used by your bonecrafters and would be better off being stored closer to your craftsdwarf workshops.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »

Yep, and it's important to remember that in the stockpile lists, the "Corpses" heading is for corpses of YOUR DWARFS, for burial arrangements/etc. - animal & enemy corpses, even enemy-dwarf ones (rare, but it happens), are all under "Refuse".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:13 pm »

Sorry Albedo, but my experience (0.40.24) differs from your description.
While there is an entry for Dwarf under the various sub menus under Refuse, it didn't have any effect on enemy undead or necromancer dwarves. Instead, they were hauled to the sentient refuse stockpile only when I added the top level Corpses setting to the stockpile. However, prior experience (0.40.13?) has shown that friendly non dwarves (caravan guards killed by a Titan) were hauled to the Corpses stockpile (and burial arrangements are recommended for those, I believe).