Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it normal to get named pets during a migrant wave?  (Read 514 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Is it normal to get named pets during a migrant wave?
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:30:12 pm »

So, I've just started a new fortress (it's going quite well so far, relatively speaking), and my first migrant wave has arrived. Four relatively unremarkable dwarves, and...a chick with a name?

I thought creatures only got names through feats of major badassitude, so I'm a little bit puzzled as to how this baby chicken got a name.
Regards,
Dampe

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal to get named pets during a migrant wave?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:04:24 pm »

This is totally normal.  Creatures get titles from feats of badassitude (specifically, notable kills), but they get names if they are a pet.  Because people like to name their pets.  "Stray Chick" is an unowned generic baby chicken but "Asmel Rimadmebzuth, Chick" is the pet of one of your new migrants.  Make sure it doesn't die, they will be unhappy (or make sure it dies, to get the unhappiness out of the way at a manageable time and clean up your unit list).

If Asmel goes on to peck a goblin to death or something, it will gain a title in addition to a name.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 02:09:08 pm »

Also, tangentially related question: How do I train animals?
Regards,
Dampe

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »

Have a dwarf with animal training enabled and a wild animal in a cage. Then Z-stocks > Animals tab and go down to the bottom of the list to find the animal. Hit [t]rain and go down the list to choose the dwarf you want to do the training.

The dwarf will grab food and bring it to the cage to train the animal. When you check it again, the animal will have either <semi-wild> or <trained> to various degrees of quality next to the creature.

If it isn't a grazer and is still semi-wild, leave it in the cage until it goes wild again and the dwarf will re-tame it. Otherwise, more it to a pasture (make sure grazers have grass to eat) and dwarves will go train them to try and improve training quality.

If the animal has babies, mark them for training immediately. Once they get tamed while still babies, they will be <tame> and never in danger of going wild again.