Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shoot damn you, shoot!!!  (Read 2093 times)

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shoot damn you, shoot!!!
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:18 am »

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong here as my marksdwarves won't shoot through the fortifications towards the rat in the pit?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For clarity- the corridoor between the fortifications is where the marksdwarves should stand when shooting into the pit or to the left to the main entrance corridoor.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:13:53 am by synyster31 »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Shoot damn you, shoot!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:39:45 am »

Are you certain your marksdwarves have bolts to use for their crossbows ?

It sounds obvious, but a few years ago i ran into a similar problem, and only found that the marksdwarves had no bolts despite i had several hundred of them in my ammo stockpile.
The dwarves were just not picking any of those bolts.

The source of the problem was that i had bins used by that ammo stockpile, and the ammo were logically stocked inside those bins to keep things clean and easy.

Unfortunately there's a bug with bins since at least df2010 and is still present in df2014 in which most of the time (for me it was every time) ammo stocked inside bins will be ignored by the dwarves.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »

Unfortunately there's a bug with bins since at least df2010 and is still present in df2014 in which most of the time (for me it was every time) ammo stocked inside bins will be ignored by the dwarves.

...I was wondering why I couldn't get anyone to use bolts or arrows...
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:21:52 pm »

And also make sure your Dwarves are assigned ammunition in the (f) ammunition menu in the military screen

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 06:58:51 pm »

Hmm it may be the bins. I removed the fortifications to rule those out and they all melee charged head long into the magma  ::) Stupid dwarves.

I'll remove the bins when I get a chance to play again. Quantum stockpile time then, I don't like using them but if it's a bug then I guess its an only workaround.

Edit:
Yes they have just 'Bolts' assigned, combat and training enabled, 3000 of them.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:06:27 am »

This could be your problem. That reserves 3000 bolts for each squad. However, each dwarf can only carry 25, so the maximum amount of ammo that can be assigned to a squad is 250. Essentially, if you have more than one squad, and less than 3000 bolts, the second squad will get no ammo. It's possible that this may work on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis too, although I haven't checked (that is, each dwarf in a 10-dwarf squad may get 300 bolts reserved for them, with the first dwarf having the highest priority).
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:50:38 am »

This could be your problem. That reserves 3000 bolts for each squad. However, each dwarf can only carry 25, so the maximum amount of ammo that can be assigned to a squad is 250. Essentially, if you have more than one squad, and less than 3000 bolts, the second squad will get no ammo. It's possible that this may work on a dwarf-by-dwarf basis too, although I haven't checked (that is, each dwarf in a 10-dwarf squad may get 300 bolts reserved for them, with the first dwarf having the highest priority).

Hmm I didn't get to test that out, i deleted the squad as 4 of them dived into magma  ::)

I deleted the squad and remade it and they train fine now, taking ammo out of bins fine. I'll check what bolts are assigned when I get a chance.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:52:09 pm »

Quivers! Quivers! Only one ammunition in hand? Better than nothing.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:01:13 am »

This could be your problem. That reserves 3000 bolts for each squad. However, each dwarf can only carry 25, so the maximum amount of ammo that can be assigned to a squad is 250.

Nay. Dwarves can carry more than 25 bolts. For example my one dwarf has currently two stacks in his quiver: 21 and 18 bolts. Plus gobbos often bring stacks of 40 bolts, and dwarves can use them all-right. Better max would be something like 400 - 500 bolts bor a 10-dwarf squad. Just make a surplus of bolts, like one order of magnitude more than you are using at any time, and they should be good. (I reserve about 150 bone bolts with training/combat enabled, 300 metal bolts with combat only, keep stock of 8000-10000 bolts and have no problem).

I keep spare bolts in a quantum stockpile, because currently it's the only sane solution.

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 10:35:56 pm »

Ugh, i got them training and then they stopped again! I'm getting semi-regular crashes now though so i'll probably start a new fort. I might upload a save if I hit the same problem again to see if someone can see what's going wrong.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:25 pm »

Are you constructing something on a tree branch?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

synyster31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 12:55:44 am »

Nope no outside or cavern buildings.