Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The tale of Craftsnation  (Read 986 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The tale of Craftsnation
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:30:52 pm »

I’m Rith Úshrirgåkïz, one of the survivors of the massacre of Craftsnation. I’m a mason, and I arrived here on the 21st of Hematite in 75. The tale of Craftsnation is a depressing one, cursed from the beginning. Of the first 7 dwarves to settle, only one, Shem Savottirist the Carpenter, has survived. The first casualty was a fisherdwarf, Tekkud Ònullerteth, who died by falling into the river when it thawed. Advancement was slow, and for a long time food was a heavy issue. But the Incinerated Merchants went on.

Eventually, a migrant wave arrived. We joined the group of 6 and went on to try and grow Craftsnation into the great city it should have been. Until that dreaded day, the 9th of Timber in the year 75, when the Wereass Child Asno Gozrugorno arrived. All of us fled in an attempt to hide, but Èrith Obokâst was not fast enough. He was shortly killed, but thankfully the rest of us survived.

We kept on trying, ignoring these two tragic accidents. Uvash Rebomrek even made Nitiginod, an artifact rock salt coffin, while possessed. We were grateful for this, even though it turned out to be an omen for our demise.

More migrants came, a dwarven caravan came and left, and some small progress had gone into expanding the town of Craftsnation so that it could prosper. This was interrupted by the arrival of The Wereass Dari Tunulwuspin in the 4th of Opal, 75. Whether he was Asno’s father, or another victim, I cannot say. However, he was not as forgiving as Asno was. He slaughtered multiple farm stock, killed two dwarves, and knocked five unconscious, and of those five, two were bitten. We did not have time to set up a hospital, as the city was barely one year old, so we had to construct a makeshift one near the river. Sadly, the River decided to freeze over during this time, and the cloth industry had yet to get going, so there was no thread or cloth to perform surgery on.

Thankfully, we had gotten a great doctor and a great diagnoser during a migrant wave, and they helped those five poor dwarves the best they could with what we had. At one point, one of them died from injuries I think. All the death was getting hard to keep track of at that point…Cerol Sumunedëm had assumed the role of expedition leader, as our old one (and only miner), Uzol Ustuthdoren, had perished in the attack.

The future seemed bleak for these dwarves. They had no cloth, no thread, and for a time no water. Infections were spreading, they didn’t have the needed traction benches, and they even had to be held under a tree, as bringing them underground was not fast enough. Thankfully, two of them fully recovered from their injuries. Sadly, they recovered because they transformed into wereasses.

There was a killing spree like none other. Fourteen dwarves dead. Nil Kordamaban had to fill in the once again vacant role of Expedition Leader. Thankfully, one of the wereasses died in combat, and the other was struck down.  We were left with 6 dwarves, two of whom being useless children. We escaped unscathed, due to us being underground during all the carnage.

Progress was slow, but we carried on. Scraping on by, the four of us working dwarves helping out in any way possible. Eventually, our prayers were answered. A caravan of Tree-Huggers came, shortly followed by a large migrant wave. There was suddenly hope for the future.

Sadly, a werecapybara arrived. I’m beginning to think humans enjoy being turned into werebeasts. It bit one of our engineers, who was also one of the survivors of the wereass massacre. We had to lock him away to prevent another incident. I feel horrible for having to do it, but what must be done must be done.

Since then, Craftsnation has been faring well. We’ve had caravans, our smelter has produced our first ingot of steel and looks to make more, plus we’ve started to turn out a profit again. But never will we forget the dreaded carnage that happened here. Hopefully future generations will find this engraving and spread the story of the fall and rise of the Incinerated Merchants, here at Craftsnation.