Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .4 vs .3  (Read 721 times)

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
.4 vs .3
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:35:07 am »

I've been having a fairly large number of crashes in .4 (especially in larger, mature forts) and have also seen invasions reliably stutter to a halt 10 years or so in (I assume my dorfs have simply killed most of the aggressive neighbors?) so I find myself running .3 for my solo play forts to ensure lots of invasions and fun and .4 for anything that might have others involved. Am I in a weird minority on this?

Just curious.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .4 vs .3
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:49:07 am »

It's definitely understandable. There's a small but present group in the community that prefers various older versions.

Older versions, especially those back in the 2D era, tend to have more "gamey" and preset mechanics than newer releases. While this does mean the game loses some potential emergent events, these preset mechanics tended to have a lot more polish than their newer counterparts.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:27:00 am »

You're in a weird minority just playing DF...

As Witty said, you're in a DF minority, but certainly not alone.

Crashes are not uncommon, unfortunately, but I've so far been lucky enough to never have a crash trash the save (even when crashing while saving. I suspect Toady has implemented a fairly robust transaction logic for saving so either you retain the old one or get the new one). I tend to save fairly frequently, in particular after having set up something messy.
The longest I've run a fortress is about 18 years. During that time the goblin sieged me once or twice a year throughout (well, not the first two years), while the black tower sieges stopped coming within 5 years.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:47:06 am »

Dude man. I like the new version, but it tracks so much xtra stuff that it dont run so great on my laptop, so it is firmly playing on 34.xx with a fort thats been running well over 300 years (on the laptop, most new version ones die to fps death around 50-60 years

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »

i have been suffering from crashes as well.

also geezus. you people have forts that last for hundreds of years. and i usually abandon mine after the first 5 :S

i need to keep my current one running as long as possible inorder to not feel left out...