Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A question on blocks  (Read 3456 times)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
Re: A question on blocks
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 01:46:28 pm »

Only stone blocks have the 4:1 ratio. This was set up to balance the miners (I believe for the hauling+minecart update (0.34.08???)). It used to be that miner skill would affect if you would get stone or gems from a dug out tile, but Toady changed it so that drops have constant probabilities; I believe 25% for stone and ore, and 100% for gems. Stone hauling (without wheelbarrows) was also made very slow at the same time, encouraging the use of blocks for constructions instead of boulders, so the block ratio was increased to yield no change when using legendary miners.

I think one other exception would be for extraordinarily rare stones like platinum and aluminum.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're also guaranteed stones ala gems.)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 06:43:02 pm »

According to the wiki, stone found in veins is 1 in 3. Generic stones are 1 in 4, and gems/etc. are 100%.

.http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mining#Mineral_production_.28profit.21.29

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 08:37:52 pm »

Hey guys, I've just started getting into DF and had some questions.
 I was counting on the Kitchen to make egg biscuits and whatever meat we could scrounge and am just growing plump helmets to brew and pig tails for my clothing industry... My question is how big of a population could just this sustain? I also have cave wheat and other seeds from embarkation I brought with me but I haven't bothered to plant them yet.

I don't know how many poultry you brought, nor have any feel for how fast eggs are produced and etc., but if you get those crops in asap you'll be fine. They usually take a half-season to mature, so if you're lucky you'll get 2/season or so* (altho' 'Helmets grow faster, and year-round*).  I usually go with 6 3x1 plots (non-identical, trying to balance yearly production, diff discussion), and that along with the odd wild animal and maybe some above-ground crops or plant-gathering usually can feed 50 or so no problem, and 1 designated Farmer can handle the whole thing and more  with plenty of time left over for other tasks (but "All Dwarves Harvest"). And now with plant-gathering buffed up, probably a lot more, np.

Pig Tails can go to both cloth industry and Dwarven Ale, so you might(?) want to increase that plot and have enough for both uses. Toss in some Dimple-Caps as Winter crops* in some plots and you'll have dye to upgrade all that cloth.

(* It's more productive to NOT rotate crops if you can, so a "growing season" is either 2-seasons long (for Cave Wheat and Pit Tails) or year-round (for Plump Helmets and Dimple Cups), etc. so you don't lose a fraction of a season at the end as often. So, for example, a plot dedicated year-round to Dimple-Cups might produce 9 crops/year, instead of only 8 (or less if you're Farmer is not prompt in planting).  Whether that's worth it or not is up to you.)

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:09:26 am »

@Albedo - I was taking 5 hens and one rooster of both chickens and turkeys but now I only take the turkeys. 5 turkey hens produce a lot of eggs and you only need let one batch go unharvested and you'll be a float in turkeys. But, thats almost a distraction now what with plant gathering! Wow, how productive is that? Tell them to harvest plants and then have a gathering plot with some fruit trees or whatnot. I'm not sure if its intended or not but Plant Gathering skill seems to level super fast. My weapon/armor crafter dwarf got to either talented or adept in Plant Gathering before he made his first metal armor/weapon.
Pages: 1 [2]