Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is anyone here playing Sins of a Dark Age?  (Read 1467 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Is anyone here playing Sins of a Dark Age?
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »

Sins of a Dark Age. Made by the guys that did Sins of a Solar Empire.

Main website:
https://www.sinsofadarkage.com/

Has a substantial in-game wiki. For absolutely everything.

A MOBA style game, with a mixture of LOL style low-cooldown skillshots, DOTA style free characters, HotS objective based gameplay (that's optional, lane away if you want), with a nice UI and character customization available (both visual and character-skills based customization). A fair bit of crafting accessible on both of the last two points.

Are there any bay12'ers playing this game?

It seems to fit our standard favoured business model (free).

It seems to have plenty of customization and runs fairly quickly on older rigs.

You can put voice-chat onto "friends only", so you only have to listen to the a-holes you know, rather than it being an all-or-nothing a-hole affair.

I'll chuck a topic together once I've downloaded it and got a few hours of playtime in.

Is there much interest in it on here? What are your thoughts on it? Worthwhile setting up a bay12 group for easier team making?

A Totalbiscuit first-look in case it piques your interest:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tfZ94tfpZhc

And the full livestream he references:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fk03RnAXeGU
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:20:35 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone here playing Sins of a Dark Age?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 07:17:01 pm »

Why did the Sins of a Solar Empire guys try to remake the Warcraft 3 engine? This is... not what I expected to see at all, given their chops.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:19:11 pm »

I played one bot game.  Didn't seem like anythign special and considering I've already got league you gotta be special.
Shoes...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:13 pm »

Sorta seemed a tiny bit more special than LoL from what I could see.

#1. Free as the internet.

#2. Not a horrible player community (yet). Plus, "friendly" voice-chat. Makes queing with just a mate or two online worthwhile.

#3. Stole'arised all the good ideas from all the other MOBAs.

Looks worth a download in any case.

@PrimusRibbus: Because they can potentially make more money, if it's a really good game, with good support (from the players and the developer). I'm not personally too concerned if they do or not. To me it just looks like a fun, free, game. It's hard to topple the big boys, but I wouldn't be surprised if they steal a thought process back in some ways from this one. But on basic principles, this is as close to DOTA3 as we're likely to get for years and years. Kind of worth a look, spend pennies if you wish to. Doesn't seem required to get good, or have fun though. Big carrot. No pay-wall stick. Unless character ability customization gets silly. And linked in for Twitchers to show it easily from the start. As attempts for "The Next Big Thing!" go, it seems to be a pretty good attempt so far. Even as an early release of it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:55:59 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »

... yeah, that stream video anti-sold it to me. One mildly interesting idea (the quests) amid a tide pool of AoS knockoff clone. Playing looked kinda' clumsy, too... sorta' like DotA, but somehow worse. Primus kinda' nailed it with the WC3 engine quip. I'm sure it'd be as alright to play as any AoS knockoff, but... not compelling enough to install, y'know?

Still, hope you find some folks to play with, samb. Sure someone around here's interested enough in yet another minor variation on the AoS knockoff formula to play a few rounds.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »

I got a Steam key for it some time ago.  Looked like Dota.  Yawn.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »

Hoping it comes good myself. I'll give it a burl.

Got nothing but free time currently. Might set up a twitch channel. Because of the lolz. And a lack of money.
It's a game. Have fun.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 02:05:01 am »

I've played a few games and the game is decent, but I'm missing something. It doesn't stand out or anything, which is a bummer because it's less then the sum of its parts

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:54:07 am »

It's allright, but it's nowhere near the "decent" level in the MOBA genre.

#2. Not a horrible player community (yet).

Lol, now that you've mentioned this....just a note: I played with many multiplayer games in the last years, but the LoL playerbase is by far the worst [solo queue normal/ranked]. Most of the players are  braindead up to 2k-ish rating on EUW and EUNE. Not only that, but many of these players are flaming a lot. So basically they suck and flame in the same time. It's hillarious but also annoying if it's ranked, which is why I mostly play with premades nowadays.  :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:00:04 am by gimli »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 03:19:00 pm »

@PrimusRibbus: Because they can potentially make more money

Oh lord, I'm getting flashbacks to when HiRez abandoned Tribes Ascend (Widely agreed to be the game of the year) to make Smite, widely agreed to be yet another goddamn mediocre MOBA.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:30:49 pm »

@PrimusRibbus: Because they can potentially make more money

Oh lord, I'm getting flashbacks to when HiRez abandoned Tribes Ascend (Widely agreed to be the game of the year) to make Smite, widely agreed to be yet another goddamn mediocre MOBA.
Actually, Smite is a pretty solid MOBA. Not saying they should've abandoned Tribes Ascend, but Smite is good at what it does.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:32 pm »

The community thing is easily solved by only playing with friends.  They'll still yell racial slurs and call you a baddie when you feed but it comes from a place of love.  My attitude towards the game has improved tenfold since I started playing exclusively on skype with friends.  I think my win rate' s gone up too, coordination is huge.
Shoes...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 05:05:49 am »

I do still like a community lifeline built straight into the game. Possibly its biggest draw to me in this genre. Friends count, because it's us that does the goods. Plus, free is good.

I'd personally give this one a chance.

Feels quirky from DOTA, in a LoL'ish way. To me, that's not a good thing (because obviously LoL is shit and is for noobs and for pay-to-winners only).

But I'll give this its time. It needs a bit.

It sort of got released "fully born" to anyone that didn't do early access. It's pretty fully fledged already.

I can't even tell the balance or meta.

And, half of the BIG youTubers/Twitch'ers/streamers are contracted to DOTA or LoL or Blizzard (lol). A revolution, easily televised?
It's a game. Have fun.