Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about fishing  (Read 741 times)

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about fishing
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »

Hey guys, I've been neglecting fishing in favor of plant gathering, farming and animal husbandry but I was thinking of getting into it now. Accordingly, I was going to make a fishing zone but was wondering some things:

Can fisherdwarves get fish from say a murky lake that doesn't appear to have fish in it?

Do they have to just fish where there are visible fish in the water like the river?

Can they get other types of things from fishing besides just the visible fish? Turtles or mussles specifically because I was hoping to get some shells.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »

The vermin fish that you see aren't actually "caught" by fisherdwarves. They stand by the water source and poof, a number of fish based on the luck and skill of the fisherdwarf pop into existence at their feet. If you can't see fish that doesn't mean there aren't any there. If you get the "no fish to be caught" message then you'll know there aren't any fish there or that they've been exhausted. On that note, it is surprisingly easy to depopulate a site's fish.