Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are absentee nobility a bug or a feature?  (Read 825 times)

CrucibleofWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are absentee nobility a bug or a feature?
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:14:19 pm »

Ever since the untimely death of my baroness at the maw of a forgotten beast, I haven't had nobility present in my fort, but the civilisation screen shows that there are nobles "of Admiredpaddle" that don't actually live there. I've also been promoted to a duchy of late, but with no option to gong a suitable candidate.

Will one arrive, or am I doomed to be a simple trophy title for some pansy city dwarf who knows nothing of the hardship of frontier living, or will this resolve?

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are absentee nobility a bug or a feature?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:43:36 pm »

There's always the chance the noble will come to your fort, but I don't think the game does anything to encourage it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »

You're doomed to wait till he dies, and the most inappropriate possible dorf always seems to manage to inherit (if they're of the fort at all).

I do think it's a feature, not a bug. It's the exact inverse of the "oh god we're the last fort alive, and everyone's a noble now" issue seen in other forts. 
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »

Your off-site noble is probably an immediate family member of the baroness who died, and thus inherited the title. I know that children of a noble can inherit the title, not sure if it can extend to other family members in the absence of any living children.

By my understanding, absentee nobles are no more likely to migrate to your fort than any other historical figure in your civ is.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:08:56 pm »

I would like to point out that this is not necessarily unrealistic.  Absentee landowners were definitely a thing in the 1400s..
then again do dwarven nobles actually own anything other than the right to demand a better room?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

CrucibleofWords

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:22:37 am »

All good points... it all indicates that there looks likely to be more civ-wide interactions in Fortress mode coming soon, actually (part of the same thing as "the world is the same as ever" etc). Which would be awesome.