Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Pathing Help  (Read 546 times)

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Pathing Help
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:02:18 pm »

Hey guys! New player here. I read about something called a "Dwarven Bathtub" on the wiki, and decided to make one in the entrance leading to my base. I dug the 3x1 trench and set the three squares as pond drop offs. Everything seemed to be going fine until the pool reached 2/7 water, and I started getting massive cancellation spam as it seemed my dwarves did not want to cross this bit of water. I quickly covered the hole back up with floor, and while this stopped the cancellation spam, for some reason now half of my dwarves (the ones that were aboveground) refuse to go belowground anymore. I have no idea what could be causing this or how to remedy it. I could dig another entrance into my base, but it seems silly to do this when I already have one with drawbridge and cave traps that isn't working for some reason. If anyone could offer some advice on how to fix this please let me know! I will keep a list of the things I have tried below.

Attempted Solutions:

- There is a drawbridge further down the hallway that I have tried raising and lowering, to no avail.

Edit: Update, after playing around with where the dwarves would grow and where they would not, I discovered the problem rested with the drawbridge. I had channeled out the area underneath the drawbridge, and apparently some trees had grown underneath it, and it's branches were blocking the pathway. The drawbridge obscured these from view, which is why I didn't notice them! Thanks for your help guys, I suppose this thread can be closed now :P
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:43:30 pm by jturnera »

Revenant342

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Pathing Help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:08 pm »

Did the bathtub work?

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 09:12:25 pm »

It worked in that it cleaned my dwarves off, which was wonderful. However, they stopped walking through it whatsoever after a bit. I'll try again later when I have more free time and am not actively building defenses to hold off a mega-beast :)

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:01:05 pm »

I think you over-filled your bathtub.

remove all pit/pond zones covering it.

create a water source zone over it.  Make it small so only one job is created. create a new pit/pond over your old water source and back fill it one bucket at a time until the dwarves go through the bathtub again.

If that doesn't work and your dwarves wont walk through even with no water in it it's either a bug or somehow you removed the bathtub ramps/other form of access across it.