Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it me or is LIFO not a thing anymore  (Read 1360 times)

Ze_king

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it me or is LIFO not a thing anymore
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:26:40 am »

Hello, Im trying to construct a castle in my DF game. I went researching on how to build the tiers 2+, and the wiki said something about this thing called LIFO, where the most recent order is built first. So in accordance with this I placed down wall designations starting with the closest one first and ending with the final block meaning that if it is works correctly the entire wall should be built without any thing being cancelled or anyone being stuck. However this is not the case. So my questions are.
By the way I am using the DF starter pack on DF version 40_24 (pack version r10).

1. Is the LIFO rule still within the game?
2. If so is there anything I have to do for it to work?
3. If not, is there anyway to get my wall to be build without having to suspend each block, and unsuspend them when its that block turn to be built?

Revenant342

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it me or is LIFO not a thing anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:23:29 am »

It works if only one dwarf is building the walls, but you're going to have a ton of the job orders picked up at once, and while the last one may be *assigned* first, that dwarf may not be the first one to get there with the materials. 

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:35 am »

I noticed that when I was setting up bedrooms.  It used to be you could reliably get the beds placed first by designating them last, but not anymore.  I suspect there have been some changes with the priority rewrite, but haven't done any real science to determine what the changes are.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:59:59 am »

I don't think LIFO exists as such anymore. When designating the building of a lot of wall, for instance, the dorfs may build in a rather haphazard order. I suspect the jobs rewrite causes dorfs to now take the jobs that are closest to them, rather than the jobs being assigned in stack order (LIFO) to the next available dorf.

Thus, either you have to build one block at a time of your wall, or use a scaffolding to access all of it at once (e.g. using 10 tile long drawbridges at either side of a staircase with 20 tiles between the staircases), or having several staircases and then assign two tiles in the middle between them between all staircases, and then periodically add a single block to each "free" side.

It can be noted that a number of jobs have priorities within them (digging, tile removal, etc), so those categories have improved. Note that LIFO basically would have stopped working when wall building went from a "skilled" mason/carpenter job to an unskilled general task anyway as the increase in the number of builders would mess it up, as Revenant 342 noted.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:05 pm »

While it was absolutely reliable for the order in which jobs were assigned, LIFO was never reliable for the order in which jobs were performed if you had more than one dwarf eligible to do the job. However, like others have said, I suspect that since the job priorities rewrite LIFO job sequence isn't something you'll be able to reliably get in any circumstance.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 02:26:45 pm »

Use scaffolds.  Lots of rock block or wood up-down staircases.  I'd been resisting that for ages but it makes everything so easy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:28:40 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:57:38 pm »

Add a design, wait for a couple of seconds until the worker is on the way, then add another.
Maybe you need to try some times in order to make your timing right.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 01:37:13 am »

It's probably not a thing. 0.40.20 overhauled the job code completely.