Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trying to make my winter and/or summer seasons deadly(V34.11)  (Read 966 times)

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I been tinkering around in the advanced world gen(design new world with advanced parameters)

what I been tryin to do it make my summers hot enough to cause everything on the surface to burn up and make my winters on the surface cold enough it will freeze everything solid.

my first attempt was to make the temp variants in the design with min -1000 and max 1000.  all that did was basically make my end spectrums to the extreme and with everything in the middle of the two poles, kinda averaged out.

second attempt was to make my min -1000 and max -1000  here all I got was an ice world where I basically froze to death in like 5 minutes of play

third attempt was to make my min 1000 and max 1000  here all I got was a burnt up world where I basically melted to death in like 5 seconds of play

as I don't relatively done understand the scale of 1000 to -1000 (and that even after looking up the wiki bout climate and weather) here are some question I want to ponder to you:

1) is there a way to have my summer and winter be deadly and if not is there a way to make either one or the other deadly?

2) would dfHack work for me in changing all or some of the parameters I would need to fulfill this?

3) does anybody know the actual scale of temp for seasons(IE: is there a base temp for an area then in spring its like base temp +20 degrees and in summer its like base temp +40 degrees and fall its like base temp -20 degrees and for winter its like base temp -40 degrees)

4) could I achieve this without dfhack, I just got to put in the right set of numbers(IE like -1000 for min and like 450 for max)

Thank you all for helping me.  I appreciate it!

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trying to make my winter and/or summer seasons deadly(V34.11)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:22:40 am »

shucks

I guess this is a rather hard problem after all.
but never the less, thanks for taking a look!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 02:52:27 am »

Instead of trying to change the temperatures, maybe change the body materials instead.  Lower the ignition and melting points of the body material templates to normal summer temperatures and raise the cold damage point to normal winter temperature.  That should have the same effect on gameplay.

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:02:31 am »

Instead of trying to change the temperatures, maybe change the body materials instead.  Lower the ignition and melting points of the body material templates to normal summer temperatures and raise the cold damage point to normal winter temperature.  That should have the same effect on gameplay.

Way to think outside the box.  gonna give it a shot.