Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you could be bothered to join a game GMed by me, which of the provided would it be?

Risus eldritch mystery investigation.
- 0 (0%)
13th Age/Risus military fantasy adventure.
- 0 (0%)
Pathfinder/13th Age/Risus superhero fantasy adventure.
- 0 (0%)
I've got a better idea, to be honest.
- 0 (0%)
I really couldn't be bothered, my good man.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Form of Tabletop RPG: interest check/planning thread  (Read 1186 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Greetings! I don't think I've posted much in this part of the forums, or even at all. But it seemed a better place to put this kind of thing than, say, FG&RP, even though roleplaying is exactly what this is about.

You see, I'd like to GM a game. Not a play-by-post game, either. This one I'd like to get going through Skype (or IRC if people prefer that) with some other tool to help with maps and such. A bona fide session-based kind of affair. I've got three ideas for this, two of them conceptually developed, the third an option if the other two don't quite appeal. This is what they are:
  • A Risus-based reasonably serious supernatural mystery set in the modern world based around the main characters investigating an eldritch location based on a real-life place that I hope to render reasonably faithfully. Think Call of Cthulhu, but less deadly. Well, I hope.
  • A 13th Age or Risus-based fantasy adventure where players take on the role of a magically-enabled military special forces unit set to cause magical trouble in a foreign government by their anarchist superiors, all taking place in a setting of my own creation, Icons and all.
  • A Pathfinder, Risus or 13th Age-based fantasy superhero or supervillain campaign (as in, one without a travel narrative and focusing on interplay of PC-level characters in a town, with there being more heroic and more villainous types among them), probably not entirely in a setting of my own creation (though that's not definite - I do love me some setting creation).
This is, as the title states, a planning thread, since for every single one of these I'd need quite a bit of preparation, and I'd only be able to start running any one of these about 2-3 weeks from now. I happen to be from Europe, so I might have a little trouble synchronizing with people from the US, but generally I have a lot of room in my schedule. I'd like sessions happening twice a week, but then I'd like a lot of things, so once a week is more likely to be possible to schedule effectively. And finally, I'm thinking it would be somewhat amusing to keep a log of the sessions written by myself after each session, perhaps with players pitching in from their point of view if they so desire.

With all that in mind, anyone interested?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:22:47 pm by Harry Baldman »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

All three seem pretty interesting, depending on the specifics.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

All three seem pretty interesting, depending on the specifics.

A breakdown of the three and their strengths would be this:

#1 offers verisimilitude, and permits me to write what I know, and what also already exists (eldritch parts notwithstanding). It involves foreign travel to a country I'm somewhat familiar with, but the players probably are not.

#2 offers a stranger experience, and would probably involve some war crimes on foreign soil. There'd also be a bunch of non-traditional forms of government, including a kritarchy, an anarchy and even a cryptocracy. Not using Pathfinder for this since I get the feeling setting it somewhere properly unusual and not obeying a couple of setting conventions is likely to be kind of a pain.

#3 offers greater familiarity, since it permits the use of Pathfinder and involves all of the standard fantasy archetypes, but repurposed for a superhero take on adventuring. Like a Justice League, except it has fighters, paladins, wizards and what have you in it. Would probably be based around people with class levels duking it out on a regular basis - I'd probably insist on players being on the same team, however.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:39:07 pm by Harry Baldman »