Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicidal Maniacs  (Read 604 times)

mikelon

Suicidal Maniacs
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:08 am »

Ive had 6 forts where this has happened ever since the climbing update

Before climbing i would put up walls and that was that

Now since both my enemies AND my dwarves have climbing enabled the walls dont matter

2z? 3z? 4z? i tried a 8 foot high 6 foot wide wall once. I called it the iron wall since i furnished the outside of it with iron blocks

My dwarves scaled it, stood on the top for a split second, then jumped off the other edge in a suicidal kamikazee against the zombie hordes

They literally cant see the zombies, i forbid everything outside the walls, yet after 3-5 minutes in a siege i see dozens of  them climbing over

they stand no chance against a insta skull shattering punching zombie, let alone 30-50 of them

after half my fort does this, somehow one or two zombies get chased up my walls by the ensueing bloodbath and my fort is lost

ive burrowed inside to no avail but id really like to just turtle and not have my fort suicide, any help?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Maniacs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:21:37 am »

OVERHANG.

Like this:

__F
W

where W is wall and F is fortification, or y'know, another wall.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Maniacs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:02:27 am »

Firstly, it seems your bloodthirsty dorfs are drafted, since civilians don't behave like that. If they're drafted, they don't heed civilian burrows. Alternatively, but less likely, you've missed the civilian alert burrows feature.

NullForceOmega's suggestion is sound, but according to recent discussions, climbers can actually negotiate a wall or fortification jutting out one tile, but for some reason not a floor. Since a floor looks silly, I'd make the overhang two tiles.
Also, while this PROBABLY will stop the dorfs from trying to climb down, I'd add a roof on top to make it impossible to exit except through the gate. This also has the positive side effect of keeping flyers out (stealing Keas, as well as winged Titans).

The way I deal with sieges is rather simple, but works fairly well:
- I immediately build a courtyard with a 1 tile high wall and deck it over. The size should be large enough to keep the grazers, some 1 tile farm plots, a trade depot, and a farmer's workshop, which seems to land on about 9*9 tiles. A 3 tile wide drawbridge controls the access to the courtyard, which is decked over.
- When that's done, I extend an access route to the courtyard and protect it with cage traps. I've used 2 different approaches:
  a. A serpentine path that allows caravan wagons to access the courtyard. This means a central 3 tile wide path with 3 cage traps in a row every 4 tiles and staggered 7 tile long and 3 tile deep niches on the sides such that the trap array aligns with the center of a niche on one side and the wall on the other side. This is decked over another drawbridge controls the access to that. Since it generally takes some time for invaders to arrive, I tend to use this approach in savage biomes where I want to block the wildlife.
  b. After the first (autumn) caravan has left I build a single tile wide decked over access path filled with cage traps and a drawbridge on the end. Note that you'll want to build something on the sides of this "pipe", since invaders tend to gather around captured "leaders", which they'll do outside of the pipe if there is access.
- I dig a dedicated trade depot access with a serpentine track with cage traps. This path is usually fairly long, and I later provide a shortcut for sneakers and building destroyers through a repeating menacing spike trap array. Needless to say, this access is also protected by a drawbridge (as well as one on each side of the new trade depot itself.

When invaders arrive, I send them back and forth between my main entrance and the trade entrance by opening and closing the drawbridges. Each time I catch some invaders in the cage traps, and when I've closed the gate the dorfs are allowed to haul the cages to a stockpile for captive stripping, and the traps are reloaded with new cages. Repeat until the invaders have been caught or fled.

It's not always that tidy, since I've had problems with invaders that just stand there, so additional measures are generally added to handle the shortcomings detected during the previous siege.