Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: giant cave spider chaos  (Read 1346 times)

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
  • forgetting which switch does what since *BLAM* ow!
    • View Profile
giant cave spider chaos
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:38:15 am »

this is a thread for sharing cave spider chaos

a gcf had snuck up from the caverns and was chasing my miner around. the miner suddenly turned around and beat the spider to death with his bare fists. the spider didn't hit him once. you could count the craps he gave about the spider as how many adamantine beds there are.
I sincerely apologize for whatever happened above this.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: giant cave spider chaos
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:54:19 am »

My first thought was "that's a pretty good band name", second thought was that I've had forts where I got bored and dfhacked all the furniture into candy, lots of candy beds, candy beds for everyone!

I also hate the hell out of some GCS's, they either don't want to web when I do trap them, or they're webbing my adventurer, prompting the inspider-ed decision to set the moss under me on fire to try and free myself before realizing I could probably set the moss under the spider on fire, and should have tried that first.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:56:04 am by Max™ »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:11:43 pm »

I'm told that GCS only web when they see a open path towards something murderable.  Fortifications are no good.  So you have to trick them into a situation where they think they can get out, but can't, due to pressure plates and the like.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:22 pm »

I just setup a small hall of web cage traps the other night in the most recent version of vanilla.

The setup had the GCS sealed in a 1x1 room with one entire wall (3x1) being fortifications.  On the other side of the fortifications was a 5x1 Sight Blocking drawbridge.  After that was a 7x1 Hall-Narrowing drawbridge, which also had a 7x1 burrow over it.  The tiles afterwards were the cage traps in the hall.

G = GCS    F = Fortification   S = Sight blocking bridge    B = Hall Narrowing bridge w/ burrow   T = Traps   X = Walls

X_XXXXX
XTBXXXX
XTBSXXX
XTBSFXX
XTBSFGX
XTBSFXX
XTBSXXX
XTBXXXX
X_XXXXX

When I needed the traps set, I would activate a throw-away squad with 1 dwarf in it, normally kept Inactive.  All orders for all months had been replaced with Defend Burrow (on Hall Narrower Bridge).  The hapless dwarf would wander down, and never leave the burrow.  Meanwhile the LoS bridge would be lowered, and the GCS would happily shoot web at the dwarf all day.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:06:57 pm »

Fascinating.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:15 am »

I had a GCS apparently fall from the ceiling of the cavern onto the cavern floor, break all 8 legs, explode his abdomen into gore, and die. I knew one was around from a few random webs in the cavern, but wasn't expecting him to simply fall from the ceiling.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:24 am »

I had a GCS apparently fall from the ceiling of the cavern onto the cavern floor, break all 8 legs, explode his abdomen into gore, and die. I knew one was around from a few random webs in the cavern, but wasn't expecting him to simply fall from the ceiling.

Perhaps he saw a reflection of himself in some gemstone and got spooked enough to lose grip. Aren't they legendary climbers naturally?

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:29 am »

Okay Ive seen a bunch of posts where people claim that GCS, and web spinning forgotten beasts need to be able to path to targets to be able to spit web, and if thats the case then they must be able to path through either:
A) Raised bridges and forbidden doors
or B) Fortifications
Both of which people claim is impossible...
But my spider farm works fine (currently all I have is a web breathing forgotten beast but it works just as well for GCS' when I get them)
Now because I had to time raising drawbridges to capture this beast there is a corridor that he can run up and down while breathing webs, not an issue and if you have a cage you can always remove the corridor for a 1x1 room.

The layout:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is what it looks like with comments to explain it:

Heres the image without all the cluster of comments:

After enough web has covered the bridges you simply queue 4 'pull lever' orders and it will dump all the silk below (you dont need to pull it 4 times, I just find thats easier as it will only have enough time for the bridges to retract and then deploy again, so you dont have to order it a second time). Have a chanelled out room below it and there you go! Infinite silk!

Here is an example of the silk output:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:56:36 am by nate.219 »