Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coolest. Name. Ever.  (Read 870 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coolest. Name. Ever.
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

Okay, maybe this isn't quite worthy of it's own thread, but I don't care. :P

I just got a peasant named "Nil Shadowfortress". That is beyond awesome. I've changed his profession to 'Assassin' and am constructing him an awe-inspiring obsidian bedroom and personal training room complete with dark stone furniture and statues...and if any nobles get pissy about it, tough. They might just have a little 'accident'.   :D

I wonder if it's worth the trouble to capture and train a cougar to guard the secret meeting room? Wardogs just aren't assassin-iny enough...

[ November 26, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest. Name. Ever.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »

I had a fortress once called "ManyCrypt". Sure sounded promising, eh?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>I had a fortress once called "ManyCrypt". Sure sounded promising, eh?</STRONG>

What kind of map was it? Haunted or Sinister would have been even neater.  :)

As an update on my dwarf, I've changed by mind about having an assassin's guild. The obsidian room I dug out has now been expanded into an adventurer's guild instead. Nil is the leader, and his partners are the warrior Vucar Helmsram, the firemage Libash Flameshoot, the barbarian Datan Bristlerazors, and last but not least the lovely illusionist, Mistem Mindmirrors.

They were all peasants as well, hand-chosen over three migrations, and immediately put to work training to be a crack team of elite fighters and our front-runners in the coming war against the demons. Hopefully I'll be able to add a few more to the squad when the next migration comes. (The other peasants they travelled with who weren't fortunate enough to have impressive names were chosen to be floodgate testers instead...)

Nobody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

It must be spooky from the Dwarven perspective. "I'm a what? Oh, that's neat, isn't it Gully Tumblepants? Oh, he's going to go be a floodgate tester? Along with everyone else I traveled with? Alright..."

Dwarven mothers are now being VERY careful about their names.

Any update on the skills of your nascent adventuring group?

A HREF="http://www.adventuresofbrian.org<BR>">www.adventuresofbrian.org
 My Personal Exercise in Futility

"oh, but the knobby ends can all bite in yours, so it''s like... more advanced tentacle demons where they have lil mouths."
-Toady One

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nobody:
<STRONG>It must be spooky from the Dwarven perspective. "I'm a what? Oh, that's neat, isn't it Gully Tumblepants? Oh, he's going to go be a floodgate tester? Along with everyone else I traveled with? Alright..." </STRONG>

Well not everyone, just the worthless peasants and all of those extra miners I keep getting flooded with. (No pun intended.  :o That was a little embarrassing, but luckily she forgot all about it once she saw her new bedroom.

quote:
<STRONG>Dwarven mothers are now being VERY careful about their names.</STRONG>

Bah. You think dwarven mothers care that much about thier babies? Suposedly they'll go wading into battle with them and use them as a shield without so much as batting an eye.

quote:
<STRONG>Any update on the skills of your nascent adventuring group?</STRONG>

I didn't get to play very long last night, so nothing too spectacular to report. I've got them all training as wrestlers and marksdwarves for now and am just hoping nobody gouges out an eye or anything. They're also all taking turns at butchering kittens, though I'm not really sure if there's a way to force the 'doesn't care about anything' mood.

I admit I'm embarrassingly newbish when it comes to setting up a military. Usually I just use the Long Winding Hallway o' Death method to take out the demons, but I really wanted to try something different this time.

Edit[/i]: Ooh! Almost forgot! Last night, just before I went to bed, Nil carved the image of a screaming demon on the wall of the barracks room. It seems like he knows exactly what's going on...I just wish I was wise enough to understand the significance of the cabinets and giant corkscrews on the floor..

[ November 27, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:06:00 am »

Solara, the only limits of your decadence should be the limitations of the game/overall fortress.

I made a 3x8 outside bridge out of crystal glass blocks, for my road.

Similarly, I've been decorating new steel weapons/armour with platinum and gold, before I assign a dwarf to pick them up.  Since I have a legendary Metal Crafter..

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:
<STRONG>Solara, the only limits of your decadence should be the limitations of the game/overall fortress.

I made a 3x8 outside bridge out of crystal glass blocks, for my road.

Similarly, I've been decorating new steel weapons/armour with platinum and gold, before I assign a dwarf to pick them up.  Since I have a legendary Metal Crafter..</STRONG>

Playing around with the architecture is really one of my favorite things about the game, even though the fortress is usually a complete mess once it reaches a certain size. I'm beginning to have that problem with the current one, actually, so I'm thinking of taking all my favorite dwarves and building an opulent palace of gold and silver to the north of the mining operations between the chasm and the river. All the filthy immigrants can just stay crammed into the ghettos by the surface.

Of course I'm hoping that once burrows get added it will be much easier to oppress the masses...