Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?  (Read 5536 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 10:45:31 pm »

I take it you've played Shining Force, Fire Emblem and all that sort of console stuff as well? Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't bad, but not exactly deep either.
Nope; I haven't owned consoles since the original Nintendo system! ;)
Obviously not going to point you to the exact locations, but if you don't feel right about blowing lots of money on a console on a single game "maybe" then I'd like to point out that all of the nintendo handhelds up to the DS (not the 3DS) and consoles up to the Wii have emulators out there (though whether you can actually run the console emulators depends a lot on your individual computer power).

I'd second suggest checking out the Fire Emblem series though, it's definitely worth the cost.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:22 pm »

Shining force and Shining force 2 both have computer ports which are amazing.
Nom nom nom

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »

By the way, anyone try Expeditions: Conquistador? How is it?

Personally I really liked it. It's been a while since I played it so I can't say too much but if your looking for something more exploration focused I would recommend it.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 12:17:51 am »

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the best turn-based RPG graphical-roguelike dungeoncrawlers in the under $10 range

Played that back in the day as well (damn, I really have played a lot of TBS and RPG games! ;)).

"back in the day"? it's only been out five years. Are we thinking of the same game?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 03:27:38 am »

He could be young-ish and that could be a quarter of his life (to date)!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 07:34:45 am »

Time is relative.

I know I'm still playing a ton of hot new stuff I've been itching to try out. Hot new stuff from before 2010's.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 11:50:49 am »

Well think about it. If it was 2000 then would saying "back in the day" about a game from 1995 would make sense?
Well yes actually it would because there was a huge leap in computing back then.
A much bigger one than the one we had between 2010 and 2015 or between 2005 and 2010.

Still i think "back in the day" should be relegated to the late 90's and older..
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 02:40:09 pm »

By the way, anyone try Expeditions: Conquistador? How is it?

Pretty good I guess though I didn't get too far in it for reasons I forgot.

That game throws some real moral quandaries at you (in the sense of putting period mores up against what are presumably your 21st century mores)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 08:51:05 pm »

I think1 that wherever we're talking about a specific thing or event, "back in the day" should denote the time ("day") when it happened or first came out. "Pokemon we're pretty popular back in their day" would refer to mid-90s, whereas "I didn't really like Portal 2 back in the day, but it later grew on me" would refer to early 2010s.

(1) I have no basis for this, as the phrase seems to mean "a time in the past, usually when you are remembering nice things about that time" or similar definitions. As such, it's a pretty useless designation of time, unless you know the speaker very well.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 2 [3]