Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma sea related !!science!! results  (Read 872 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma sea related !!science!! results
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:21 am »

In case anyone is interested, I've done some stupid !!science!! with the magma sea.
- Will magma flow generate power in a nether-cap water wheel? - No. At least not always (i.e. it didn't in my single attempt).
- Can you use cave-ins to divide the magma sea into pockets? - No. I've tried to drop "shaped" pieces of rock into the sea to stick on top of regular rock and then dipping down into the sea. All the rock entering the magma sea disappeared immediately, while the parts on top of regular rock fused as normal. Not only does the rock entering the sea disappear, the rock above it does as well, i.e. the layer of rock connected horizontally to the part on top of the regular rock vanishes. I've tried this both with rock reaching down to the magma flow, and rock that should just have hemmed in a little pool at the top sea level, with ordinary magma underneath.

Remains to be tested (unless someone else already knows the answer):
- What happens with a cave-in dropped onto a dry magma flow? Will it disappear, or fuse? Will it affect the magma flow tile properties if it fuses?
- Same as the previous one, but dropped onto SMR. I expect just a regular rock fuse here.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma sea related !!science!! results
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »

The problem with splitting the magma sea has to do with SMR.  Rocks collapsing onto the SMR (through the magma) will just vanish as you said.  This is why magma-pistons have to be built over contained magma-cisterns.  They need that solid non-SMR floor to properly crash into. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:21 pm »

Well, the rock vanished even if it just touched the standard magma. However, it can very well be the case that SMR effects are projected upwards.

Edit:
A cave-in into a channel down into SMR (which results in an unusable ramp in "magma flow") caused the rock to disappear, as Niddhoger said. A cave-in two tiles away onto a regular surface on top of SMR (I presume it's SMR, but the tile is unrevealed) works as normal, i.e. a "natural" rock pillar sits on the floor.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:40:03 am by PatrikLundell »

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:12 pm »

If you want to divide up magma into pockets you can do it with a chute over the magma that drops water down into the places you'd like the divide to be, then carefully meter it out so you get just enough water to form the obsidian walls desired.

Something remarkable about this is that not all the obsidian blocks fall, meaning you can get obsidian islands floating on top of the magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:34:08 pm »

Yes, obsidianization works, but that requires you to plan further ahead by expanding the area by one tile in each relevant direction for each tile of depth of the magma sea. I was originally after creating as much of a box (with vertical walls) that could be pumped free of magma (or obsidianized, if desired) as possible.

Well, it seems the inverted ziggurath of obsidianization is the only game in town.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:30:40 pm »

Its what I did to mine extra candy- cast the sea around the spire in obsidian to extra the walls safely.