Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reviving Long-Defunct DF Features (Lazy Nobles!)  (Read 3104 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Reviving Long-Defunct DF Features (Lazy Nobles!)
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:57 pm »

Now, I know I'm in a minority, but from a role-playing perspective, I liked the concept that nobles were useless, made demands, and didn't work. Due to a longstanding bug, aside from making their name purple on the units list, appointing a dwarf to baron and such didn't actually do much aside add addition mandates.

Long time players (23a/40d guys) should remember that nobles are supposed to be lazy (as are their spouses). Quiestust found and defined why these guys don't become lazy. With DFHack, and a little knowhow, you can restore this behavior:

Technical Explanation For Layman Terms:

Under 40d, nobles immigrated to your fortress instead of being appointed within, which caused them to be generated with specific professions. Dwarf Fortress looks at the profession to know if a specific dwarf is a noble, and if so, if they should be lazy. When this was changed that baron is appointed from from within, the appointment code does not properly change the profession to one of the specific recognized types to force laziness. This is similar to the long standing Lords loosing their status bug, due to a holdover that weaponlords would live only to fight.

Over time the internal numbers that control profession change, to ones that are non-sensical for nobles (MERCHANT, TRAINED_HUNTER, TRAINED_WAR, MASTER_THIEF, THIEF, DRUNK, MONSTER_SLAYER, SCOUT, BEAST_HUNTER, SNATCHER, and MERCENARY).

Furthermore, the noble system was rewritten without this bit of code being triggered (noble professions appear to work via a different vector (I haven't quite figured this out yet, but its mostly irrevelent for this disuccision). I strongly suspect this is why the Dungeon Master noble failed to function in DF2010/early DF2012 as well, though I haven't tested it

If you want to return this behavior to the game, and make your nobles properly lazy, you must tinker with the dwarven soul. The procedure is fairly straightforever. First, select the unit on the unit list you want to make lazy, and manually clear out all his labors.

Then, in DFHack, type: gui/gm-editor, and switch back to Dwarf Fortress.

You'll get this rather scary looking screen:

Be careful editing anything here, you could possibly break your game or worse.

Move to the profession line, and press enter, and type 105. Do the same for profession2, then press escape to close out. The screen should look like this:

If you look at your now modded dwarf, he will laze about doing nothing like a proper noble.

As an added bonus, if he should otherwise loose his position or die, you get this wonderful gem.

This also has interesting possibilities for mods, since if you leave any labors enabled on a dwarf, they will continue to do them, even if they say the noble will not work.

I'm currently tinkering with other bits of the DF units vector; my current goal is to see if I can get animal caretaking to work by just getting the hospital to handle it (which I realize is weird but actually making animal caretaking work will require a fair bit more work).

NOTE: Just to be clear, I take no credit on discovering how this works, just wanted to write it up incase anyone else wanted to use it in a fort, Quiestust has all the credit for this
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:22:54 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reviving Long-Defunct DF Features (Lazy Nobles!)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:14 am »

Restoring lazy nobles? There's an odd sort of irony to that.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:52 pm »

I find it ironic that it is the drunks who don't do any work...normally it's the other way around in DF.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:00:35 am »

...you must tinker with the dwarven soul. The procedure is fairly straightforward.
Spellchecked and sigged.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »

Id like it if he implemented it in a more advanced way. Like when you revive a dead civ, one of your dwarves is made king or queen immediately. If this was implemented, you would be out a worker despite the fact there are very few dwarves left.

What I would like to happen is something like this: Using the scenario I mentioned, the king or queen be more driven than everyone else. In times of severe hardship, nobles stop caring about their housing situation(like being fine with meager rooms for awhile) and stop making demands and mandates or start making one relevant to the immediate needs of the fort.
Like alcohol shortages, mandate the construction of alcohol or growing more crops that can be made into alcohol.
During a siege, mandate the construction of more armor and weapons that the military can use, or mandate melting down furniture and other goods made of weapons grade metal that isn't an immediate necessity, or(if there are no metals that can be used for weapons and armor) temporarily allow other metals to be used.
And if they have the correct personality(like a sense of duty), start working themselves.

As it stands, when I have had an embark monarch, they have required rooms that just cannot be made for awhile. They complain about it the second they notice that the modest room they have(despite being better and bigger than everyone else's) is modest. I crank up the embark points in worlds I am gonna attempt that in so I have the materials to get them a ton of valuable goods so they can be shut up faster(and the fact they start making mandates within 3 months).

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:31 pm »

Id like it if he implemented it in a more advanced way. Like when you revive a dead civ, one of your dwarves is made king or queen immediately. If this was implemented, you would be out a worker despite the fact there are very few dwarves left.

That's how its supposed to work as coded. Only a bug prevent MENIAL_LABOR_EXEMPT from kicking. Honestly, I personally think no dwarf should become king until the fortress meets the actual requirements, then the game should check if there is a king, and if not, create one out of a unit.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:45 pm »

Your instructions say to change the jobs to 104, but the screenshot shows "105 (DRUNK)".  I assume the 104 is a typo.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:18 pm »

Your instructions say to change the jobs to 104, but the screenshot shows "105 (DRUNK)".  I assume the 104 is a typo.

Oops. Fixed. (104 will work too though, I believe thats MASTER_THEFT).