Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants fighting my fortress  (Read 974 times)

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants fighting my fortress
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:18:10 am »

I'm on my fourth year of my current fortress. Autumn came, and with it both liaison and the caravan. Liaison goes on to have a meeting with my mayor and caravan heads straight to the depot. Everything is going normal so far, so I order some junk to be hauled for trading and go on to take care of other things.

Suddenly I get an announcement of a puppy being killed. Then another one. This happens around the same time my quarantined wereskinks transform, so I go looking if I accidentally managed to leave one loose. There are no wereskinks to be seen. Instead, I see caravan guards shooting at my animals, all the while their wagons keep on moving towards the depot. I order my military to station on the courtyard just in case there's trouble to be had, and sure enough they engage the merchants as soon as they see them. Wagons roll to the depot, then leave immediately, and caravan guards keep fighting my military until they die. The guards, that is. My weaponlords won't go down that that easily. ;D Meanwhile, the liaison elevates my fortress into a duchy, makes a trade agreement like usually, and leaves without any trouble.

What exactly could be the cause of this? I've had a couple of sieges whose remains haven't been completely cleaned out yet, so the area around the main entrance is littered with corpses. I also saw a werebeast corpse in my courtyard, but it belonged to my former militia commander who was slain a couple of months earlier, so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Other than that, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary going on. No one was tantruming, no invasions were going on and no hostile wildlife was anywhere to be seen. I'm using the latest version of the game, in case that's any help.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants fighting my fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:59:21 pm »

Did you have your troops kill the militia commander?
This might be some form of loyalty cascade.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:08 pm »

Maybe the militia commander was the merchant's nephew's mother's cousin's son.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:04:19 pm »

I thought it was brother's sister's cousin?
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »

It's his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:42:26 am »

Maybe the militia commander was the merchant's nephew's mother's cousin's son.
IRRELEVANT!!!
The gaurds attacked, not the merchants.
Its clear that the relation was not with the merchant, but the gaurds.

Please continue with the theories of the exact relation.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:38:56 pm »

Frankly I think it's because merchants aren't people. They are objects of transportation that bring goods that should be yours to begin with, on account of the fact that you want them.

The guards were just encouraging natural dwarf-caravan-foraging behavior.

... Either that, or there's a possibility of Civil War existing in your civ these days, I'm told. Came with one of the recent updates.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:22:03 am »

... Either that, or there's a possibility of Civil War existing in your civ these days, I'm told. Came with one of the recent updates.

Hmm... Interesting. Next caravan hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know if this will become a regular occurrence or not. Not that it's my main concern at the moment, I just had a loyalty cascade kill half my fort. Also, a goblin siege on top of it, but it just added more to the mess outside. A nuisance, really. :P