Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Climbing Yak  (Read 1937 times)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Climbing Yak
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:48:13 pm »

So, I was playing Fortress mode, and while looking around my new site, I noticed something:

Yes. That is a Yak. In a tree. I dont even know what to expect from DF anymore....
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: The Climbing Yak
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:18:23 am »

You ever stopped in a forest from fast travel in adventurer mode? 'Urist, It seems we are up a tree!'
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:25 am »

You ever stopped in a forest from fast travel in adventurer mode? 'Urist, It seems we are up a tree!'
Thats actually never happened to me before... I'll have to try that.

I think there is a weird glitch happening, because now my miner is randomly climbing walls while idling. Whether these two events are connected, I have no idea...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:26:01 am »

The tree probably grew under the yak. It happens regularly: I've watched the occasional camel become arborial. It can injure them, but usually it's harmless.

That said, it's less harmless if you have carts. I once had a merchant caravan destroyed in a fast growing forest on the edge of my large map. There were things hanging in all the trees... There were a lot of furious merchants. Unexpected tree growth has been blamed on various explosions that happen in my fort. Trees are a source of irritation, but wood is so goddamn useful on a coal free map...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:35:19 am »

Thats actually never happened to me before... I'll have to try that.

I think there is a weird glitch happening, because now my miner is randomly climbing walls while idling. Whether these two events are connected, I have no idea...
There is a sig of Naryar coining the term full plate parkour dwarves after I asked if off-duty military scrambling around the walls was odd.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44:56 am »

Happened to quite a lot of animals in my last fortress ... it can be quite annoying as it causes "feeding"-job cancelation "spam" and subsequently starving grazer-animals.

Chopping the tree below them is usually a decent solution to get them down from there, even though it can be harmful to them and other animals around them - obviously.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:05:52 pm »

I left a pear tree in a walled-off pasture and my baby rhinos love climbing that thing when something flies over and scares them.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:35:10 am »

For dwarves and animals which climbed a tree I usually build a up stairs, and then downstairs above them. As many levels as necessary, though dwarves can jump a level down to the stairs, so sometimes there's no need to build it all the way up. Problem with climbing animals is that if they are pastured (and most of my animals are pastured) then they attract a dwarf with Pen/Pasture Animal job. The dwarf follows the animal up the tree, and often can't/doesn't want to climb down. Mildly annoying.