Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "modern" let's plays?  (Read 1727 times)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
"modern" let's plays?
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:09 am »

As the subject says - is anyone aware of any decent and modern let's plays for Masterwork? One of the ways I learn best is through observation, and I'm having a tough time finding any decent let's plays that are anything approaching recent. The best I've found so far seems to be quite old, based on the launcher anyway. Dwarfs would be preferred but really, watching any other civilizations would be fun too.

I prefer to watch actual play with commentary. Outright tutorials don't work so well for me - most people aren't as good at teaching as they think they are. I don't necessarily need much in the way of explanation if the player knows what they're doing.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: "modern" let's plays?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:54 am »

I am not aware of any recent MasterworkDF videos.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:14:19 am »

As the subject says - is anyone aware of any decent and modern let's plays for Masterwork? One of the ways I learn best is through observation, and I'm having a tough time finding any decent let's plays that are anything approaching recent. The best I've found so far seems to be quite old, based on the launcher anyway. Dwarfs would be preferred but really, watching any other civilizations would be fun too.

I prefer to watch actual play with commentary. Outright tutorials don't work so well for me - most people aren't as good at teaching as they think they are. I don't necessarily need much in the way of explanation if the player knows what they're doing.

The most recent I have seen are these two:

SilverDragonLord (he has a bunch, but this one is only 6 months old)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOCBEcNdfIeWljpY49I_kv4jN6NPpe8P4

Quill18 (a livestream, also 6 months old)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVDXofnYErQ

These are a little newer than SilentDeth, I think, but not a lot. I like Quill18 a lot. His style of conversational chatter just works for me. SDL is good too, but tends to perform a little more. SDL has done a lot of DF-related stuff though. Quill18 less.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 12:54:22 pm »

I've yet to see much of Quill18's stuff, but I'll certainly check that out.

Silver Dragon Lord's stuff is very good, and he can be very informative, if occasionally a little dry. He certainly has a preference for playing as Dwarves, but I hope he does some stuff on updated Kobold Fortress soon, or does a Succubi or Human Fort.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:38:27 pm »

Quill is hilarious. The one I've seen from him is much older than 6 months, so I'll have to check that out. Looks like Silver's been pretty prolific as well... definitely have to give those a try!

Thanks!
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:40 pm »

By a not coincidence, I was going to start a Masterwork LP. I got as far as making the badass video intro, but then I found out I couldn't record unless I was in one render mode, which removed the custom font I wanted to use in the recording.

Then, forcing myself to accept this limitation, I ended up recording the entire world generation phase, which created ninety minutes of unwatchable dreck which cannot be edited into anything worthwhile.

Will make a third attempt when I can spare the time (I run a Minecraft modded server and make videos for that as well).

Lord scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of the steelflame fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:24:12 am »

Zerodaimaru is pretty good, [ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1rWu1IznheK69HMWZfDBPqwnlSpzOUls ] more of a Tutorial then a LP but hes funny. and quill did masterwork?.....i had no idea... [runs too youtube] 
("Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
I'm 99% sure this is how Resident Evil started.)

("A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration")

("I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.")