Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best weapons you could think of  (Read 2107 times)

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
best weapons you could think of
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:35 pm »

I'm running 34:11, before toady fixed the planespacked glitch, so what would happen if you made a planespacked hammer?

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: best weapons you could think of
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »

I'm running 34:11, before toady fixed the planespacked glitch, so what would happen if you made a planespacked hammer?
It would just be a normal artifact hammer if you're talking about effectiveness. Decorations don't do anything for weapons except improve quality, and artifacts are already artifacts.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:51:42 pm »

Decorations have their own quality, separate from the base item, so even if the decorations are masterwork, the base weapon's quality and function would not be changed.

Decorations have no bearing on their base, so studding an adamantine war hammer with platinum or even slade would not make it weigh any more or hit any harder.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »

On the other hand, if they do add to total weight, won't your planespacked be too heavy to wield?
(Imagine a beard carrying a 50-ton hammer).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:46:25 am »

A slade warhammer, if one could be constructed, might weigh 1-2 tons.

HartLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Surrender... or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 07:22:55 am »

A slade warhammer, if one could be constructed, might weigh 1-2 tons.

Actually, slade is 25.478 times denser than iron/steel. A quick search tells me that iron weighs 0.2843 lbs./in3, so slade weighs about 7.24 lbs./in3.

A 3 lb iron warhammer would "only" weigh 75 lb when made from slade.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:59:08 am by HartLord »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 08:28:01 am »

Yeah, 75lbs is still something for a hammer.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:18:40 am »

75lbs is still -far- too heavy to use in actual combat.  Its not a question of whether yo ucan pick it up or not, its a question if you can swing it more than once.  Combat requires multiple (quick) blows and is often a contest of endurance as much as skill.  I believe the heaviest actual weapons were more like 7-8lbs for greatswords pushing 6 feet.  Axes were rarely as heavy as 6lbs.  Not so sure on the maces, but having used heavy equipment (pickaxe) and sledgehammers, making quick controlled strikes with something pushing 20 lbs will leave you on your ass in short order. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 11:21:15 am »

75lbs is still -far- too heavy to use in actual combat.  Its not a question of whether yo ucan pick it up or not, its a question if you can swing it more than once.  Combat requires multiple (quick) blows and is often a contest of endurance as much as skill.  I believe the heaviest actual weapons were more like 7-8lbs for greatswords pushing 6 feet.  Axes were rarely as heavy as 6lbs.  Not so sure on the maces, but having used heavy equipment (pickaxe) and sledgehammers, making quick controlled strikes with something pushing 20 lbs will leave you on your ass in short order.
Yeah but dwarves something something fantasy something something not real life I don't know.

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:37:21 pm »

This is dwarf fortress, a single untrained dwarf is able to wild a slade hammer with no problem, so it shouldn't have a problem with anything else. I was just thinking that all the materials that went into it would make it very effective

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 03:10:04 pm »

Improving armour skill causes Dwarves to move and fight faster in all armours, even those constructed of rather heavy materials. One would surmise that this works much the same way with legendary weapon skill users just as it is with armour users; both are unencumbered by such things as material as they are... Well, legendary.

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:26 pm »

Dwarfs use booze as an energy source to fuel their bodys. Thus, their strength far surpasses that of an usual human.
bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »

Improving armour skill causes Dwarves to move and fight faster in all armours, even those constructed of rather heavy materials. One would surmise that this works much the same way with legendary weapon skill users just as it is with armour users; both are unencumbered by such things as material as they are... Well, legendary.
It doesn't. Legendary military dwarves will probably have very high strength though, potentially enough to carry a slade warhammer and wear armor as their armor will effectively weigh nothing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia