Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Naming conventions  (Read 12793 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »

Any dwarf that has a job to do that is important enough to specialize a single dwarf in is named by such job, ie "Blacksmith" etc, and has all other labors except retrieving and caring for wounded turned off except as needed. Everyone else is named "Peon" or "Militia" depending on whether I have made maille for them and stuck them in a squad yet. Full time military are named after their specific squad. "Spear Beta," "Hammer Alpha," etc. Nobles are named after their position, "Duke," "Bookie."

It's not Orwellian, either. Why do you think your last name is Smith?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 08:04:03 am »

All of my dwarves get named for their profession with a zz before their name to put named dwarfs at the bottom in therapist.

I also put all non child bearing worthless dwarfs in the military so they would get zzRecruit. Or if it is a child bearing worthless dwarf they get zzGrunt. Smiths get zzSmithA for an armorer just as another example.

This way I can organize dwarfs in therapist and still know if an important dwarf has died in game.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Vilkku92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2015, 03:33:02 pm »

I tend to give names to my starting seven, mostly so I can see how they fare and distinguish them from migrants and those born in the fortress. I usually name them after some dwarfs I remember from literature and games, except when I have some other cool theme in mind.

For the other dwarfs I only give nicknames if they have done something that catches my attention, in which case I name them after the thing they did. I like to make those names into something one could reasonably expect those dwarfs to be called, whether jokingly or as a semi-official title. For example, the hammerdwarf who killed a roc got named 'Rocslayer', while my mayor got the nickname 'Scepterfan' for prohibiting the export of... well, make a guess. Other than that, all the dwarfs get to keep their names, and I never bother renaming fortresses either. It would be a sore thumb in legends.

Squads will always get renamed, though. Random names are far too non-indicative for effective command. They are all named [Ordinal number] [Combat Role].

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2015, 05:28:11 pm »

When a dorf is important (like the starting 7, nobles, or legendary skills) he gets a nickname. 'Gem Over' was my militia commander, who happened to be a jeweler before being conscripted :p

Later dorfs simply get their profession added before their name. Urist the farmer becomes Fa Urist. Armourer Urist becomes Sma Urist.

Space is often tight so I just insert 2-3 letters for the profession name.

locktwo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2015, 07:16:46 pm »

Once migrants enter the gates to my fortress they are stripped of their names and individuality and placed into groups of 5 for each job offered on DT. Each group is filled accordingly with jobs from migrants who fit the job as best as possible.

Any extra extras get .. "recycled"  ::)
>Likot Edtullimul cancels Combat: Getting married.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2015, 05:48:27 pm »

I only name my military dwarves so I can keep better track of them.

Militia Commander is "One-One". The second in his squad is "One-Two", then "One-Three", all the way up to "One-Ten". The first Militia Captain is named "Two-One", with the same progression as the other squad.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]