Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: elven & human caravan in 1st year  (Read 1081 times)

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
elven & human caravan in 1st year
« on: April 13, 2015, 03:16:04 am »

I started the second fort in the same world and before I even thought of building a depot, an elven caravan arrives in the first spring. Luckily they hang around long enough for me to build a depot and still want to trade. In summer, the humans come, too.
I thought the first caravan will be the dwarven in autumn. It is the first time I encounter this. Is it a bug or has the behaviour changed?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: elven & human caravan in 1st year
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:04:51 am »

Did you start a new game in a new world, or has the world been around for a bit?
I found after my first fort, caravans (and goblin sieges) turned up regardless of  'fixed rules'.

Edit- sorry, yes you already said, second fort.
Don't count on the 'no goblins until population 50' rule either. Seems that anything goes once the world's in motion.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:07:37 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:06:48 am »

I've had elven and human caravans in the first year on a new world. Pretty sure it just depends on how quickly you build up your wealth.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 07:22:10 am »

I've had elven and human caravans in the first year on a new world. Pretty sure it just depends on how quickly you build up your wealth.

It seems to be that way. If your wealth builds rapidly enough you might even get sieged the first year now too if you're extremely un/lucky.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:12:25 am »

But this is quite a poor fort, built in the desert sand and only barely starting to produce food, let alone wealth. I had much richer forts in the past. I even had to emergency-produce some acceptabel trade goods just to have something to trade away.
Could it be related to the fact that I only retired (not disbanded) the prevuous fort? I never did that before.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:41:31 am »

I believe its linked to the -time- you unretired your other fort.  From what I've noticed, if you retire a fort in autumn/early-mid winter, then you'll likely embark in winter for your next fort.  I always get elven/human caravans early when this happens.  If you haven't seen a similar thing happen before, maybe you just weren't near any elven sites when you embarked in hte winter. 

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:16:35 am »

That would be consistent. I retired at the end of the year.