Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 150-layer-deep underground cave?  (Read 2389 times)

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
150-layer-deep underground cave?
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:31:48 pm »

I dug for magma for my new fortress. The third cave layer is 150 layers under earth and -3 in altitude...Has anyone seen anything like this?

DFhack revealed the map. The magma is 10 more layers down, and no iron in the whole 160+ layers...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:43:24 pm by Mrandom »

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 150-layer-deep underground cave?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:50 pm »

I've had embarks where the 3rd cavern was 150+ layers below my embark level a fair number of times. I started using advanced worldgen to base my embarks off the 'region' templates instead of the 'island' templates, in order to generally get the 3rd cavern and magma sea not so deep.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 150-layer-deep underground caven?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 11:49:18 pm »

I've had embarks where the 3rd cavern was 150+ layers below my embark level a fair number of times. I started using advanced worldgen to base my embarks off the 'region' templates instead of the 'island' templates, in order to generally get the 3rd cavern and magma sea not so deep.

I thought the z-level settings in advanced worldgen restrains the layers between cavens with some randomness. I guess that was not totally right.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:57:22 am »

On my very first fortress, I found a deep pit (I think) that went from 10 levels below the fortress to 200 levels below the fortress. Odd thing was, it extended up from the first cavern layer, pushing everything down. I didn't realize what a find this was until everything was blood and vomit.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:52:29 am »

z levels between 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 change the depth between the surface and cavern 1, 2, 3, and hell.

Mininum and maximum elevation as well as elevation variance have a lot of influence on your embark depths though. You get an area which is flat and up at like 150 elevation with oceans not too far away, the map is gonna be pretty deep to accomodate the possibility of a cavern extending under both.

It's a freaking nightmare in adventurer mode, you ever tried to run down a 200~ z level ramp spiral?

It can get pretty cool at times. I saw this site and decided to create a river source/waterfall given the absurd elevation change.

Z+242:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Z+150 wagon level:

Z+133 bottom of the volcano:

Z+132 forges:

Z+129 absolute bottom (no hell on this map):

I built the living area around the tube with fortifications and such for waterfall misting, which meant that my habit of assigning civilian uniforms which often include a crossbow turned it into a shooting gallery since the cavern was open to the surface from the start and stuff would try to fly up out of there periodically, probably to escape the bat man that had something like 100 kills on his spear:

I still chuckle at the hungry head with a bolt stuck in it's head... where else would it get stuck?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:10:00 am »

Hey look, another Asâx.

And it's a batman !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ID92BAYYQ

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:27 am »

Yeah, he made a hell of a mess down there:
Pretty sure he's in that miasma somewhere, just soaking it in for some reason.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:49:27 pm »

haha that's pretty cool. You should watch out if you carve out some large room behind the waterfall, cuz the bat might want to use it for his bat cave.

I wonder how did you get absolute bottom so close to wagon level? I haven't played with any volcano site tho.

And I have actually walked down some 200+ z level dark fortresses in adventurer mode in the map I got 150+ level deep cavern. Well, I thought that how deep the hell normally is.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

There's a new version of DF Hack?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.