Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Survey correlating play style with your favorite goals and challenges.  (Read 1765 times)

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recently made the threads, "If you wanted to know someones DF playstyle, what questions would you ask?", and "What are your favorite goals / challenges".

I used the responses from both to make a survey that correlates play style with goals and challenges. I was inspired by the Dwarf Fortress Scenario generator, and used a website called Clever Surveys, which makes predictions from survey answers. So once people have answered this survey, it will predict a goal, challenge, and embark parameters for you.

Survey Link: http://www.cleversurveys.com/survey/train/5641332169113600_5668600916475904/dwarf-fortress-fortress-mode-challenge-and-goal

P.S.
It will ask you to register, but you can register without an email. The responses are anonymous.

Edit:
What do you think of the survey, and of this idea?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:01:35 pm by Magnnus »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile

Signing up is annoying :/
Have you considered using Surveymonkey?

Alright answered.  Still needs more responses to predict a challenge tho :(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:16:31 pm by Bearskie »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Preferred challenge: Hermit challenge
Favored goal: Keep playing as long as possible without fps death
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the idea of this, but I think the questionnaire could do with a little more work to make it useful. Do please take all of this as personal opinion and general suggestions.

I was somewhat surprised that single pick / no pick challenges didn't make the list. They seem popular to me, but maybe that's just confirmation bias. It seems to me that you really need a solid, comprehensive list of goals and challenges if you are to correlate play style with preference.

The question about time played could benefit from being split into predefined intervals. Allowing for arbitrary numbers all the way up to 1000, with decimals, is going to result in people taking random guesses rather than really thinking about it (I know I did - seriously, who's counting after around 100 hours, anyway?). 'Which of these brackets do you fit into' is a powerful question, although of course not perfect.

Number of years is more reasonable as an integer input. Asking people to input a number with an inherently base 12 fractional part as a base 10 real number just feels wrong even if it isn't a big deal, and honestly the fractional part probably doesn't matter all that much in this context.

Savagery / Alignment and Temperature might benefit from a 'no preference' option. I've certainly had fortresses where I completely disregarded at least one of them (typically temperature). It's difficult to pick one of three options when you really want to answer 'whatever, that has no bearing on my gameplay at all'.

In any case, great idea, I'm looking forward to hearing about any statistics you pull out of this. Always interesting to get some numbers on how people like to play.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:00:09 am by Oblique »

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Signing up is annoying :/
Have you considered using Surveymonkey?

Alright answered.  Still needs more responses to predict a challenge tho :(

The main point of using this website is the predictions that can be made after it has enough responses, as opposed to just collecting data like surveymonkey.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

After I log in, it just goes to the home page. If I click the link again, it asks me to log in again. I cannot take the survey on this site. Try surveymonkey.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After I log in, it just goes to the home page. If I click the link again, it asks me to log in again. I cannot take the survey on this site. Try surveymonkey.

Do you have cookies disabled?