Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: laying large areas of floor over open space  (Read 1723 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
laying large areas of floor over open space
« on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:56 pm »

I'd like to lay large areas of floor without having anything collapse. Do I just have to make sure I lay down the floor in such a manner that there is never any possibility that there will be a floor laid diagonally?

Why do cave-ins happen when you lay flooring?

This is my first fort, FB wiped out 20/26 dwarves but I walled it off, rebuilt, and I'm building strong now... still haven't worked out military but that will come eventually (I initially got a death-pit with spears to handle overpopulation, then modified the init, but still kinda neat).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: laying large areas of floor over open space
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:45:32 pm »

I'd like to lay large areas of floor without having anything collapse. Do I just have to make sure I lay down the floor in such a manner that there is never any possibility that there will be a floor laid diagonally?
Pretty much. I generally designate in rings from the outside in for most cases, or in rows from one side if you can only access one side.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:53:05 pm »

Why do cave-ins happen when you lay flooring?
Yes to the first question. Though I must be specific in what I mean; Dwarves will lay down floors orthogonally from any square they can stand on. You can place 100,000 floors starting from 1 supported square and there will never be a single cave in because the Dwarves will always automatically build orthogonally from another supported square. If you however, designate floors to be built orthogonally from a bridge or grate that has no support - a cave in is possible, and indeed likely if it's the last designation you make. Dwarves seek to build constructions in a 'first designated, last built' way.
If there are no bridges/grates nearby I'd warrant you are completely fine. If there are, it's a good idea to just manually check that if the floors are built adjacent to an unsupported square that they'll still be supported by another nearby tile (support only works orthogonally, or from supported tiles directly above and below). If they won't be supported, wait till your flooring efforts catch up to the affected area.`

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:14:27 am »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think, by watching the dwarves, that they will indeed lay floor diagonally, but only TO a square that they could reach by standing on something orthogonal to it (similar to building destroyers taking a straight line through a building that they could otherwise walk to).

I am now confidently laying floors, thanks a lot!!

*I've also noticed that when laying multiple sections of flooring, they don't respect LIFO like they do with walls.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:21:59 am by davidc »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:48:12 am »

*I've also noticed that when laying multiple sections of flooring, they don't respect LIFO like they do with walls.
That might have something to do with Toady updating Dwarf pathfinding when doing stuff like digging, so they dig hallways then rooms and not just half dig everything and complete nothing. Perhaps floor building is smarter too?

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:04:23 pm »

Any exceptions I've seen to the LIFO rule have been attributable to differences in dwarf speed or distance from the job; a dwarf in copper armor coming from 250 tiles away will not be able to finish his job before the dwarf 20 tiles away who took a later job. If you designate a bunch of constructions simultaneously you're bound to see this some, moreso the more your fort is spread out.