Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So... Whats New?  (Read 2177 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So... Whats New?
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »

I've been away for some time and was thinking of coming back to Dwarf Fortress, the last thing that was "new" at the time I stopped playing last was multi-tile trees (still with amusing errors such as flying enemies crashing into them and exploding).

So I figure lots of things must have changed between now and then, however when I looked at the development page, unless I'm misreading it, nearly everything new is for adventurer mode. Now perhaps that is the case, but I figured I'd ask.

So, yea, anybody want to give me a short rundown of any significant changes in, say, the last year or so?

Appreciated.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: So... Whats New?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »

There's way more to DF2014 than what was added in 40.20. First and foremost the 40.01 highlights (paraphrased):
World activation!
Fortresses can be retired and unretired.
Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins.
Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds.
Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite. Movement and combat are separate now.
Tracking information in adventure mode.
Different levels of conflict.
Combat moves take place over a period of time now. Catching an opponent's attack. Get information about what attacks your opponent is doing. Quick/heavy/etc. attacks and multi-attacks.
Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad).
You can travel through tunnels.
Conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.
Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now.

Lots of bug fixes. Declaring ownership of sites in adventure mode. Pulping body parts. Equipping companions. Fleeing in terror. Inevitability. Emotion/stress rewrite. Harvesting fruit from trees. Gelding (neutering). Breeding requires proximity.

Saves are not compatible. Sieges are unfortunately all but non-existent in the current version. Undead and werebeasts, on the other hand, are much more deadly. The new adventure mode quest log fills up with useless information and you can't tell which beasts are still alive or not. Killing sentients, even bandits and vampires, will upset people and they will spit at you. DFHack now has a plug-in (Text Will Be Text) that allows you to combine ASCII and graphical tile sets as well as display multiple Z-levels at once.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

I've been away for some time and was thinking of coming back to Dwarf Fortress, the last thing that was "new" at the time I stopped playing last was multi-tile trees (still with amusing errors such as flying enemies crashing into them and exploding).

So I figure lots of things must have changed between now and then, however when I looked at the development page, unless I'm misreading it, nearly everything new is for adventurer mode. Now perhaps that is the case, but I figured I'd ask.

So, yea, anybody want to give me a short rundown of any significant changes in, say, the last year or so?

Appreciated.
Trees don't explode creatures as far as I'm aware, but they do explode the world. DO NOT build floors over tree branches.
Expect significantly less FPS thanks to activated world and Armokdamned trees.
Multihauling exists now. Herbalists are OP.
Dwarves are wusses now thanks to new stress/emotion system.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:03 am »

There's way more to DF2014 than what was added in 40.20. First and foremost the 40.01 highlights (paraphrased):
-snip-

Lots of bug fixes. Declaring ownership of sites in adventure mode. Pulping body parts. Equipping companions. Fleeing in terror. Inevitability. Emotion/stress rewrite. Harvesting fruit from trees. Gelding (neutering). Breeding requires proximity.

Saves are not compatible. Sieges are unfortunately all but non-existent in the current version. Undead and werebeasts, on the other hand, are much more deadly. The new adventure mode quest log fills up with useless information and you can't tell which beasts are still alive or not. Killing sentients, even bandits and vampires, will upset people and they will spit at you. DFHack now has a plug-in (Text Will Be Text) that allows you to combine ASCII and graphical tile sets as well as display multiple Z-levels at once.
Actually, the 40.01 bits probably aren't relevant for someone who knows about multi-tile trees. Relevant changes are the emotion rewrite, stepladders, gelding, multi-hauling, proximity breeding, job priority rewrite, designation priorities, vein mining, and DFHack's TWBT.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:45 am »

No more reproduction by spore then eh?

Some interesting changes.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:40:59 pm »

It's quite playable right now, in my opinion. But it's also (possibly) about to get a new update with music and the like.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:25 pm »

No more reproduction by spore then eh?

No, but there was a short time in which dwarves accidentaly reproduced through spores.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:01 pm »

DO NOT build floors over tree branches.

I'm pretty sure I've done that before and it didn't do more than destroy the tree.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've done that before and it didn't do more than destroy the tree.
It's a desperate Elvish plot which backfired. Instead of the tree being destroyed, now everything in the entire universe except the tree is destroyed when you build a construction on it. Of course since the game crashes you can't see the saved tree, but trust me, it's there.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 02:19:24 am »

It's a desperate Elvish plot which backfired. Instead of the tree being destroyed, now everything in the entire universe except the tree is destroyed when you build a construction on it. Of course since the game crashes you can't see the saved tree, but trust me, it's there.

It's weird, I'm on the latest version, and when I build on top of trees they still explode. Maybe it's because they're mushroom trees growing in water, thus dampenning the world ending blow. Or those damn Elves haven't gotten to them yet!

Seriously though, everytime I see an underground, water drenched tree I expect to lose a few Cheese Makers vital members of the fortress, I'm willing to try killing them with seige weapons, since aparently that's a thing that works, and if it does, and produces logs... then from now on I'm totally embarking with enough wood to get started on said project instead of an axe + woodcutter.
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:12:02 pm »

Isn't it drawbridges over trees that destroy the universe?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?