Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Embark without playable civilization  (Read 3955 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark without playable civilization
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »

Yeah, worth keeping in mind that this tends to happen right after you unpause in these situations:

right at the start? or do i still have to fulfill the requirement of 140 dwarves? kinda annoying to have such a useless noble early on!

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:14 pm »

Yeah, worth keeping in mind that this tends to happen right after you unpause in these situations:

right at the start? or do i still have to fulfill the requirement of 140 dwarves? kinda annoying to have such a useless noble early on!
not right at the start but shortly after.  So no you dont need the 140 dwarf requirement.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »

That is the screen right after embarking, and the instant I unpaused I got the screenshot with the insta-queen announcement.

Those were the last non-necrmancer dorfs on the map at the time.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:57:12 pm »

One more question: as someone pointed out, I could just put the pop cap very low. If I go with this solution, do I still get babies, even after the cap is reached?

As an example: let's say I set my pop cap to the number of dwarves that i have in my fortress after the second wave, e.g. 15. And I set my child cap very high (100:1000). What happens?

EDIT: I just saw that there is both a "pop cap" and "strict pop cap" in the LNP. could that be the solution? i just have m pop cap low and my strict pop cap high
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:01:24 pm by Afghani84 »

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 12:13:38 am »

setting the soft cap low and the strict cap high should result in migrants stopping once you are at or above the soft cap, but only the strict cap should have any effect on birth rate.

Xenophilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:00:51 am »

let's say I set my pop cap to the number of dwarves that i have in my fortress after the second wave, e.g. 15

In the new version, you can even do without the first migration waves. If you set the soft cap to 0 before embarking you will not get any migrants ever. Your starting 7 will be on their own.

Note that you will have to make sure that you have at least two valid couples (not gay, age difference of at most 10 years) if you want a self sufficient fort in the long run. To jump-start your baby industry, check out Loci's speed dating method explained in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144945.45. Only make sure the dwarves you want to hook up together are friends before they get their pre-honeymoon suite or they will take very long/forever to marry.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 03:04:24 am »

Another tip: if they still don't want to marry, retire and unretire... though it could go wrong sometimes.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »

Ok, so this is basically as close as I've found to what you were talking about:

Code: [Select]
Civilized World Population

7 Dwarves
        137 Humans
        711 Elves
        98 Goblins
        26 Kobolds

Total: 979

I correct myself, and I have no freaking idea how this is possible:

Code: [Select]
Civilized World Population

112 Humans
        832 Elves
        524 Goblins
        30 Kobolds

Total: 1498

Here's both saves, there's some light mods in there from the world-gen, mostly relevant for adventurer mode, think I've still got the hammers as lucerne hammers with a spike on the back too.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10728
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:18:20 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 [2]